American Tobacco Campus celebrates 10th anniversary

<p>ATC hosted a block party in celebration of its ten-year anniversary in September 2014.</p>

ATC hosted a block party in celebration of its ten-year anniversary in September 2014.

Balloons filled the air and chalk art glistened on the pavement Sunday afternoon when the American Tobacco Campus hosted a block party in celebration of its ten-year anniversary.

Durham residents and out-of-town visitors alike enjoyed food and entertainment in honor of the old tobacco campus’s rebirth in 2004. The event featured performances by the Soul Psychedelique Orchestra and the Durham Ukulele Orchestra and activities including juggling, hula hooping and aerial silks.

Acrobats and clowns wandered the streets as people of all ages picnicked on the grass, savoring cuisine from food trucks such as Chirba Chirba, American Meltdown and Barone Meatball Company. Stylists from Rita’s Beauty Salon drew Henna tattoos on the hands of attendees and artists painted colorful elaborate designs on the faces of both children and adults.

“We love the food, everything,” Durham resident Lynda Gerbe said. “It’s so adorable, a mom who was hula hooping earlier said she was just trying to impress her kids.”

Gerbe’s friend Deon McCormick, Trinity '07, said although Durham was a ghost town when he arrived in 2002, the city now has a lot to offer.

“It’s very nice to be out in the community,” said Shannon Bush, a Hillsborough resident who attended the event with her husband and four-year-old twins.

She added that her favorite part of the event was the music and outdoor activities.

Founded in 1890 by J.B. Duke, the American Tobacco Company was a prominent force in the industry until it broke into several major companies in 1911. The company restructured itself in 1969, forming holding company called American Brand, Inc. that acquired a variety of non-tobacco businesses during the 1970s and 1980s and eventually renamed itself Fortune Brands.

The American Tobacco factory on Blackwell Street in Durham produced some of the most famous tobacco products in American history. But it closed in 1987, leading to the decline and decay of downtown Durham.

In 2004, the abandoned campus was developed by Capital Broadcasting and reopened as the American Tobacco Historic District—a complex of offices, shops and restaurants. The complex is recognized nationally as a center for innovation and entrepreneurship that flourished from its historic renovation.

Duke University remains the largest tenant of ATC, occupying over 9 units of space at the complex.

A man traveling from New York to spend time with his mother, a Durham resident, enjoyed the last few bites of his meatball sub.

“I went there twice,” he said. “I’m a food truck kind of guy.”

Belinda and James Fayson, Durham residents, said they try to go to all kinds of events whenever they hear about them.

“We try to support the community,” Belinda Fayson said. “It’s definitely growing.”

J. Ray Kirby, Grad School '57, and Martha Kirby—a couple sporting flowered leis who met at Duke graduate school and have been married for 52 years—said they enjoyed the concerts and the dancing.

“The only thing missing from here is the smell of smoke,” Martha Kirby said.

Share and discuss “American Tobacco Campus celebrates 10th anniversary” on social media.