Duke football 2014-15 position preview: Wide Receiver/ Tight End

Although the Blue Devils return 14 starters this year, there are still new names to learn. We will break down each of the 10 major position groups: running backs, quarterbacks, offensive line, receivers, defensive ends, defensive tackles, linebackers, defensive backs, kicker/punter and punt/kickoff returners to prepare you for the regular season.

Talent at the wide receiver has been crucial to sending Duke to back-to-back bowl games the last two seasons, with Donovan Varner setting program records for receptions in 2011, Connor Vernon setting a number of ACC records in 2012 and Jamison Crowder on the verge of doing the both of those things this season. It comes as no surprise that receivers have performed so well in the pass-happy Cutcliffe era, even as the run game has been more prevalent in recent years. Cutcliffe has a handful of potent receivers at his disposal who can transform Anthony Boone’s throws into big plays and if this year’s offense is going to be successful, it will be crucial for a handful of receivers to step up and increase production.

Key Players Lost:

Brandon Braxton was an experienced slot receiver who played more than 1700 snaps throughout his four years in Durham, even spending 2012 as a safety on the defensive side of the ball. But last season he hauled in 39 passes for 361 yards and two touchdowns, most notably a 75-yard bomb from Brandon Connette against Pittsburgh. His presence will be missed, but junior Max McCaffrey and sophomore Ryan Smith should pick up the slack in the slot.

Projected Starters:

Senior Jamison Crowder is one of the most explosive receivers in the country and has locked up a starting position on the outside. If he puts up big numbers like he did last season (108 receptions for 1360 yards), he will hold ACC records for receptions and receiving yards. Crowder remains a deep threat that Boone will use to exploit secondaries often this season. He is the only player from one of the power five conferences to have two 1,000 yard receiving seasons under his belt.

McCaffrey, who saw significant playing time last season and caught 26 passes for 282 yards and four touchdowns, will be asked to step up his production in the slot position. While McCaffrey was slated to be an outside receiver, coaches have recently moved the 6-foot-6 Isaac Blakeney to the outside where they are hoping to create some match-up problems. Not only could his height cause issues for opposing secondaries, but he is reported to have improved his speed after running track this past spring. Although there are questions about the dependability of his hands, we think he can be a breakout player in 2014 and complement Crowder at the other end of the field.

Smith is pushing Blakeney for playing time and should see more of the field after a solid performance during his freshman year. Smith also ran track with Blakeney and could be another deep threat. Another name to watch is Johnell Barnes, who was the most impressive freshman wide receiver last season until he hurt his arm in a bar fight in late September. He bounced back toward the end of the season, seeing meaningful playing time in the ACC Championship and in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, where he made this diving catch that turned heads.

Tight ends Braxton Deaver and David Reeves will be used as wide receivers in some formations, so they garner inclusion. Deaver was the team’s second leading receiver last season with 46 receptions and 600 yards, but is currently missing the first week of fall practice due to disciplinary reasons. Deaver could hear his name called for the next level in April and a solid season would only help his case. His suspension shouldn’t impact his playing time, but if it does, Reeves, a junior, has experience and could be an asset in the red zone.

All in all, while Crowder will be on the field for almost every snap, Cutcliffe and his staff will shuffle in-and-out number of receivers, which means everyone will most likely see meaningful playing time.

Dark Horse:

Trevon Lee, a four-star recruit from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. was the Blue Devils’ first-ever ESPN 300 recruit, so the talent will be there for him to compete for playing time among the established group. Although Cutcliffe may prefer to redshirt him to develop his abundant raw talent, injuries and other unforeseen factors could make the true freshman a useful piece this season.

Redshirt Watch:

Another freshman to watch is Miramar, Fla. native Chris Taylor. The three-star recruit was a Florida All-State player during his senior year and was viewed as one of the underrated recruits coming out of South Florida. Taylor will have the chance to prove himself in fall camp, so look for him to redshirt this season while coaches work on developing his knowledge of the offense and his strength.

Cutcliffe on Deaver:

"Braxton is not going to join us until August 9. He’s doing a few things to satisfy me which I expect to be done in a timely manner. He should be finished with those things and ready to go and in great spirit and attitude on August 9, so I’m looking forward to that for him."

Boone on WRs:

"The two freshman coming in are very talented. They’re going to need more and more reps to become game-ready. Chris Taylor and Trevon Lee have taken tremendous strides this summer. Guys like Ryan Smith, guys like Quay Chambers, Johnell Barnes, they’re all about a step or a catch away from being game-ready on Saturdays. And that’s what we’re looking for, we’re looking for more guys to be game-ready, more guys to be effective. Issac Blakeney made a tremendous jump for us this summer and he’s going to be a force being on the opposite side of Jamison Crowder, getting opposite of the double team looks and less attention. He’s going to have a tremendous year for us this fall."

Share and discuss “Duke football 2014-15 position preview: Wide Receiver/ Tight End” on social media.