The road to Charlotte: Duke football vs. UNC

Down 25-24, quarterback Anthony Boone led the Blue Devils on an 11-play, 66-yard game-winning drive to clinch a berth in the ACC championship game.

Game Synopsis: Excelling in all three phases of the game, Duke captured the Coastal Division crown with a 27-25 victory on the road against arch rival North Carolina. The Blue Devils dominated the game early, but failed to capitalize. The Tar Heels took advantage of an early Duke turnover to go up 15-10, but DeVon Edwards returned the ensuing kickoff 99 yards to give the Blue Devils the lead heading into the locker room. Duke's defense clamped down, but North Carolina found its offensive rhythm late in the game. After a Thomas Moore field goal put Duke down 25-24, Anthony Boone led the Blue Devils on an 11-play, 66-yard drive that burned nearly five minutes off the clock and led to kicker Ross Martin's go-ahead 27-yard field goal. The Tar Heels advanced to midfield on their next dive with a chance to win the game in the closing minutes, but Edwards picked off Marquise Williams to seal the victory.

The Quote: "I just think people need to believe that Duke football is going to be a powerhouse," redshirt sophomore Jeremy Cash said. "Whether you want to believe it or not, we are going to run the ACC."

Key Stats: Duke won the time of possession battle by holding the ball for 35:23 and converted 8-of-15 third down conversions. The Blue Devils also had to settle for field goals on two red zone drives after reaching a first-and-goal after going 22-for-22 in those situations through their first 11 games of the season.

Milestone Alert: With the win, Duke secured a 10-win season for the first time in program history. The Blue Devils captured the ACC Coastal Division title to make their first trip to the ACC championship game in program history. Duke's championship game appearance will be the first by any Triangle school. During the game, wide receiver Jamison Crowder broke Conner Vernon's single-season receptions record by reeling in his 88th reception of the year.

Share and discuss “The road to Charlotte: Duke football vs. UNC” on social media.