DNC Short: North Carolina politicians open the DNC

CHARLOTTE - Congressional representatives from North Carolina kick started the 2012 Democratic National Convention’s finale Thursday.

Each speaking only briefly, U.S. Rep. George Butterfield, Lieutenant Governor Walter Dalton, U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan, U.S. Rep. David Price—who represents Durham’s district—and U.S. Rep. Mel Watt all delivered remarks to welcome those in the arena.

Hagan, speaking first in tonight’s lineup, welcomed the Democratic delegates with warm words for the convention’s host state.

“We call North Carolina ‘the place where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great,’” she said. “We've always prided ourselves on the fact that anyone, no matter who they are or where they are from, can work hard to make whatever they want of their life. But we didn't get there by accident.”

Hagan credited strong political leaders for creating North Carolina into the hub of productivity and prosperity that it is today.

Price noted parallels between North Carolina's priorities and Obama’s platform, even making reference to Obama’s campaign slogan of “forward.”

“North Carolina is proof that President Obama has the right plan to invest in education, infrastructure, research, innovation and entrepreneurship, so we have an economy built to last,” he said.

Share and discuss “DNC Short: North Carolina politicians open the DNC” on social media.