Daniels to play for St. Louis Rams

After not being selected in this year’s NFL draft, Matt Daniels joins the St. Louis Rams.

For the 12th consecutive year, no Blue Devil was selected in the seven rounds of the NFL Draft.

But that was just fine by Duke safety Matt Daniels, a senior, who signed with the St. Louis Rams immediately after the draft concluded Saturday. Having been in touch with teams throughout the draft, he said around 10 teams called him following its conclusion looking to sign him as a priority undrafted free agent.

“My cellphone was blowing up, my house phone was blowing up and my mom’s cellphone was blowing up,” he said. “It all seems so surreal to me. I haven’t had the opportunity to sit down and actually think about it.”

Daniels acknowledged that there are positives to being drafted, most importantly the signing bonus, but going undrafted gave him the opportunity to choose where he would begin his professional career. After returning home to Fayetteville, Ga. for the three-day draft, the All-ACC safety consulted with his family and agent on where that should be.

Although a number of teams, including the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants, attempted to sign the 6-foot-1 defensive back, he believed the Rams provided him with the best opportunity to earn playing time and showcase his talents.

“It was kind of like college recruiting all over again—every team had their pitch. Everyone was trying to offer a certain amount of money to get me to come to their team or trying to tell me the opportunity I would have going to their team,” Daniels said. “It’s a great opportunity for me to go to a team with a new coaching staff.”

Daniels is excited to work with new St. Louis head coach Jeff Fisher, who spent more than 16 seasons as the head coach of the Houston Oilers-Tennessee Titans franchise after serving as a defensive coach in the league beginning in 1985. Fisher took the Titans to the Super Bowl in 1999 and because it is his first year with the Rams, Daniels believes he will have a strong opportunity to prove his worth without any incumbent favorites.

Additionally, the Rams did not select any safeties in the draft, giving him a chance to work his way up the depth chart.

“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to work with [Fisher],” Daniels said. “I think I’ll be given a great chance to go out there and show my talents and abilities and make the active roster.”

Daniels’ skill set will not only be valuable as a defensive back, but also on special teams. At Duke’s pro timing day, in which Blue Devil players entering the draft had the opportunity to showcase their talents for scouts, the second-team All-American ran the 40-yard dash in less than 4.50 seconds, making speed his speed a clear asset entering the League.

While Daniels quickly received a contract from the Rams, other Duke players have been given the opportunity to make other teams. Tight end Cooper Helfet has an invitation to try out at the Seattle Seahawks’ camp, and offensive tackle Kyle Hill will have a similar opportunity with the Washington Redskins.

Daniels believes once Duke, which has won just three games in each of its last two seasons, begins to succeed, its players will receive more recognition from NFL organizations.

“The Duke name, a lot of people believe it plays a part,” Daniels said. “As soon as we start winning more games around here, that’ll definitely change.”

Share and discuss “Daniels to play for St. Louis Rams” on social media.