Obama campaign opens office in Durham

Durham Mayor Bill Bell speaks Wednesday at Barack Obama’s new campaign office in Durham.

The grassroots branch of President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign has set up shop in the Bull City.

Organizing for America North Carolina, the state chapter of the campaign organization, opened a Durham office in an official ceremony Wednesday. The group aims to boost support for Obama and Democrats in 2012 through voter registration, voter education and field organizing efforts. About 70 Durham residents, campaign volunteers and local officials attended the opening with the wish to repeat Obama’s 2008 success in Durham County this November. The office—one of six in North Carolina—will serve as the hub for local involvement in the next nine months.

“I want to get President Obama re-elected,” Durham Mayor Bill Bell, a Democrat, said in an interview. “None of the unprecedented enthusiasm in Durham for President Obama has gone away, just look at this event around you tonight.... Durham County knows how to get it done and we have high expectations.”

Obama won Durham County handily in 2008 by approximately 52 percentage points compared to opponent Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. This, along with Durham’s proximity to college campuses helped make the city a prime choice for the campaign’s newest location.

For younger voters, Organizing for America launched Greater Together to engage college students nationwide. Locally, there are Students for Obama chapters at Duke and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

“We were able to capture the enthusiasm of young and old voters in a historic way in 2008,” said Cameron French, press secretary for Organizing for America North Carolina. “It is tremendous to see people nine months away from the election so enthusiastic. Offices in 2008 were opening much later, and here we are ready to build tremendous momentum already.”

Although Obama narrowly won the state in 2008, volunteers and local leaders were highly optimistic about their chances in 2012. Several supporters said they believed North Carolina has been a state that has embraced a progressive vision.

The ceremony gave volunteers and Obama supporters a chance to meet and voice their goals for the 2012 election. Volunteers believe strongly that the office will be vital tool for the community to help the president be re-elected. One of their biggest goals is to engage young residents of Durham, particularly college students.

The Durham office, located in the Heritage Square Shopping Plaza, will be open every day of the week and French expects a consistent and high turnout. For the next few months volunteers will focus on voter registration, targeting young adults and individuals unable to vote in 2008. From there, the office will focus on voter education and running phone banks in order to help mobilize voters, French said.

Supporters at the event noted the stimulus, health care reform, Wall Street reform and the end of the Iraq War as Obama’s major accomplishments.

State Rep. Bill Faison, D-Caswell, Orange and candidate for state governor, noted that he will support Obama as part of his gubernatorial campaign.

“I will do my part,” Faison said. “The next nine months will be about who can lay a foundation for a fairer economy and establish middle class security. It will be very fascinating to be a part of the election in North Carolina, and I am optimistic about our chances.”

Share and discuss “Obama campaign opens office in Durham” on social media.