Unknown - Juame Collet-Serra

In the days before the release of the new Liam Neeson movie,Unknown, my thoughts were that it looked like a combination of a lot of spy movies I’d seen—namely, Taken and The Bourne Identity. After watching it, the confusing twists, well-placed action sequences and gripping intensity definitely gave the movie the feeling that it was a cross between Taken and The Bourne Identity.

Unknown introduces us to Dr. Martin Harris, a biologist who has the unfortunate luck of being in a taxicab accident. Harris wakes up to find that his entire life has been replaced. Viewers then learn about Harris’ shady past as he attempts to piece his life back together—all the while avoiding the killers on his trail.

Liam Neeson shines in his role. His frantic search for answers carries the energy of the film through to the end, and he expertly combines helpless bewilderment and resolute will in his portrayal of Harris. The excellent supporting cast adds to the energy of the movie, with Diane Kruger as the taxi-driver-turned-assistant and January Jones as Harris’ wife.

For an action film, Unknown has its share of unbelievable moments and occasionally the dialogue feels contrived. Still, the movie easily overcomes these flaws with plenty of explosions, fight scenes and a plot that keeps the viewer guessing about the identity of the good guys and the bad guys, and mostly—who is who.

Yes, we’ve seen this film before—the ending in particular doesn’t give any surprises. Yet, in the end, the movie does what it set out to do: entertain. I was engrossed in the story, unsure of the twists and was excited for what came next. Although it is not the story is not unique, the movie will keep you thrillingly in the unknown.

Share and discuss “Unknown - Juame Collet-Serra” on social media.