SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Duke ready to take on Big 10 competition

Sophomore Mary Clayton believes Duke’s recent strong play will help the team on the road this weekend.

Traveling for the just the second time in 2011, Duke opens up its spring road schedule with a pair of Big Ten matchups this weekend.

The Blue Devils square off today against Indiana (5-0) and hope to repeat their performance from a season ago when they handily swept the Hoosiers 7-0. Sunday will mark the bigger test of the weekend, however, as Duke travels to No. 20 Northwestern (2-2), in its first match against a top-25 opponent this year.

“Overall we’re really excited about being on the road,” sophomore Mary Clayton said. “Obviously Northwestern is a good team, but we’re going in playing really well so I think we have a great chance.”

Historically, the No. 7 Blue Devils (4-0) have dominated Indiana, both on the road and in the friendly confines of Ambler Stadium. Since 2004 Duke has won six straight matches and outscored the Hoosiers 37-5. Throughout that same stretch, the Blue Devils have never lost the doubles point.

The Wildcats, however, have proven significantly harder to tame, especially on the road. While the Blue Devils won in their last trip to Evanston in 2009, the victory was less than decisive as Duke narrowly escaped 4-3. In the Blue Devils’ two previous trips in 2007 and 2005, Northwestern won resoundingly 6-1 and 5-2, respectively.

Yet Duke comes into this weekend playing great tennis, having dismantled both Texas A&M and Brown this past week. In both matches the Blue Devils dominated play more than both 6-1 victories would indicate. Seniors Reka Zsilinszka and Ellah Nze won all of their singles matches in straight set, while freshman Rachel Kahan also played exceptionally well in her first two collegiate matches.

“I think we’ve had a few really good matches these past few weekends,” Clayton said. “That’s given us a ton of confidence going in.”

Adding to the competitive environment of the Northwestern match is a reunion of two former teammates. Duke freshman Hanna Mar will match up against fellow Hinsdale Central High School (Illinois) product freshman Nida Hamilton, in what is sure to be an environment filled with mixed emotion.

While Northwestern may be the bigger headline this weekend, Duke will need to keep its focus on Indiana first in order to come away with a victory. Making the mistake of looking past unranked N.C. State in 2007 to then-No. 11 North Carolina, the then-No. 18 Blue Devils lost in an embarrassing road upset that could easily parallel this weekend’s away series if Duke is not careful.

The Blue Devils are making sure to focus on each match to come away with the pair of victories this weekend, however, as Clayton reiterated.

“While it is our first trip away from home to start the season… we’re making sure to take it one match at a time,” she said.

Share and discuss “Duke ready to take on Big 10 competition” on social media.