Home, sweet home

K-ville tents range from big, eight person tents to small, four person tents. Whatever the size, however, your temporary residence in the village of Krzyzewskiville needs to a fortress against the rain and snow.

Some tenters found out the hard way exactly how important it was to ensure that their tents were buffered against wet weather. After last night’s rain, for instance, I was curled up in my sleeping bag trying to sleep when I overheard a girl complaining about how the rainwater had gotten into their tent. Never had I been so glad of being dry.

Common building materials used to bolster tents are wooden planks, tarps, plastic bags, and crates. Freshman Jessica Adimora’s tent, for instance, was set up on plywood and tarp for extra insulation against the rain and snow. Senior Matt Boyle’s tent had large wooden crates his team had gotten from Home Depot before the winter break.

Further amenities inside the tents are also always appreciated. My tent has a shoebox, folding chairs, and several carpets cushioning the floor. I’ve seen plenty of other tents that have the same things, sans carpets. Fortress it may be, but the tents aren’t soundproof. There are some pretty interesting conversations that I’ve accidentally eavesdropped on whilst walking past tents, or lying on the ground trying to sleep.

K-villers. Keep your voices down and the world won’t have to hear your secrets.

No matter how they do it, however, K-villers will always be “Krazy.” Few tenters have had the opportunity to work in their tents yet, but Boyle said he was taking a Kaplan GMAT class online. When his fellow classmates understood the reason why he was video conferencing in a tent, they had only one word to say—“bizarre.”

Share and discuss “Home, sweet home” on social media.