Soundoff: Parents' Weekend

Students participate in a yogurt-eating contest on the Main West Quadrangle Friday. The event was part of ZTA’s breast cancer fundraiser.

Visitors came from across the country and around the world for Parents’ and Family Weekend. Events ranged from informational sessions and receptions to an exhibition men’s basketball game Saturday against St. Augustine’s. The Chronicle’s Matt Barnett spoke to Duke parents about the weekend’s events.

“I think it’s very well organized. The kids seem to love to have their parents here, especially the freshmen. “Into the Woods” was really good.

—Carol Samuel, parent of freshman Lindsay Samuel

“Parents’ weekend was a lot of fun. We enjoyed being here, [there] was beautiful weather. We got to see our boy—it was great.”

—Jeff Unger, parent of freshman Bobby Unger

“The basketball game, that was a lot of fun. Just the excitement of waiting in line to go in and see it and watching the students and how they reacted—the students get so into it.”

—Joan Stelmach, parent of freshman Greg Stelmach

“It gives us an excuse to come down and visit with our son.... We love seeing the other parents, talking to them about their experience.”

—Katie McHugh, parent of senior Matthew Jacobson

“There’s a lot of things to do, you can’t possibly do everything. For us, we started at 9 in the morning and went until 11 at night, and that was plenty.

—Debbie DeMarco, parent of junior Ben DeMarco

“The weather is fantastic and it’s a beautiful place, it’s hard to go wrong. We were really here to see [our son]. It wasn’t so much about events or information.”

—Karen Mozenter, parent of sophomore Ben Mozenter

“This is our third child, third different school, and Duke is our favorite.... It’s fabulous, who wouldn’t want to be at Duke? We didn’t attend any events, but we did eat dinner at the Washington Duke Inn, which I highly recommend.”

—Lyn Wertheim, parent of freshman Alex Wertheim

“We just went to the Nasher [Museum of Art], that was wonderful. I was surprised to see it in the middle of the woods.”

—Katherine Wells, parent of freshman Jocelyn Wells

Share and discuss “Soundoff: Parents' Weekend” on social media.