Group discusses attendance policy, upcoming events

At its Tuesday meeting, Duke University Union members discussed disciplinary measures for members with continual absences from meetings. Committees also talked over their plans for upcoming events and projects, including Joe College Day and a black light olympics.

Tuesday’s Duke University Union meeting addressed several topics including member attendance, Joe College Day and other upcoming events.

At the start of the meeting, DUU President Yi Zhang, a senior, brought up the issue of member attendance, which has been inconsistent. Zhang asked members at the meeting for their opinions on implementing harsher consequences for frequent absence, as stated in the DUU constitution.

“According to the DUU constitution, if you miss two meetings, we are allowed to put you on [a] panel, and you can lose your position,” Zhang said. Members, however, opposed the idea of losing one’s position in accordance with the laws of the constitution. Instead, members agreed that Zhang should use her own discretion in dealing with absences.

DUU committee chairs went on to discuss upcoming plans and events. Joe College Day Chair Nathan Nye, a sophomore, provided updates on the status of the event. He said that everything was ordered and that the committee would be tie-dying bandanas Thursday on the Bryan Center Plaza.

Major Attractions Committee Director Karen Chen, a senior, said the group is planning a show next week. The show, which will take place on Oct. 8 in Page Auditorium, will feature the Charlotte-based “folk international” band Kenny Carr and the Tigers.

Chen added that the committee is finalizing its fall schedule.

Innovations Committee Chair Dustin Gamza, a senior, said his committee is planning a Duke Laser Tag tournament for Oct. 30. Equipment has already been ordered, including laser grenades, laser pistols and laser targets, he said, adding that prizes will be distributed.

Gamza noted that later in the semester, the committee will also be sponsoring a black light olympics, which will take place in a rented gym with black lights illuminating the venue and all the sporting equipment painted white. Free white T-shirts will be given out, he added.

Junior Brendon Pierson, president of Small Town Records, said he is working on the label’s website.

“We are trying to have a non-creepy version of Craigslist’s classified sections,” Pierson said, noting that he plans on creating a place where musicians can contact other musicians and form a band.

In addition, DUU plans to host a “Twilight weekend,” with films from the series showing throughout this upcoming weekend.

In other business:

DUU members spoke of establishing a DUU Internship Program for prospective freshman members. Two options were considered—a full internship program, where freshmen would be assigned to their own group to plan their own events, as well as a freshman improvement program, which would introduce freshmen to DUU and immediately assign them to pre-existing committees. Members also considered a mentorship program, in which freshmen would eat lunch with and get to know current DUU members. In the end, members decided to place freshmen into their own group for the Fall semester and incorporate them into specific committees in the Spring. The mentorship program was also viewed favorably.

Share and discuss “Group discusses attendance policy, upcoming events” on social media.