Duke Police undergoes restructuring

After the departures of three University officials  affiliated with Duke Police since June, the University is looking at ways to restructure the department to operate more efficiently.
After the departures of three University officials affiliated with Duke Police since June, the University is looking at ways to restructure the department to operate more efficiently.

The Duke University Police Department and the administration’s oversight of campus safety have undergone significant changes in recent months.

Aaron Graves, associate vice president for campus safety and security, and DUPD Assistant Chief Gloria Graham both left the University last summer. The departures have prompted a restructuring of DUPD that is taking place now, Vice President for Human Resources Kyle Cavanaugh said.

“We took this time to take a step back and take a look at the structure of the operation,” Cavanaugh said. “We are taking a look at, ‘What are the organizational needs across the entire enterprise?’”

Previously, DUPD Chief John Dailey reported to Graves, who then reported to Kemel Dawkins, the former vice president for campus services who left the University in June. Dailey now reports directly to Cavanaugh, who is responsible for campus safety. The change emerged after the reshuffling of campus services that occurred after Dawkins departed Duke.

Cavanaugh said the organizational structure of DUPD in the absence of Graham has yet to be determined, but added that he has consulted with Dailey and other administrators about assessing DUPD.

Cavanaugh said administrators have been “benchmarking” DUPD throughout the last 60 days by comparing it to police departments at other institutions. He noted that he has overseen departments similar to campus safety at the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Florida.

“We are still going through that assessment,” he said. “If you look at any indicators, the policing operation is doing a terrific job and acting in outstanding shape.”

In the absence of Graham—who started as the University of Tennessee chief of police Aug. 11—Dailey said he has had an opportunity to implement changes and learn more about his department. Graham was largely responsible for the daily operations of the force, something that Dailey has taken over for the time being.

“We are looking strategically within the management of DUPD,” Dailey said. “I have been more involved. It’s been really good for me to see the details of the daily operations and needs of the organization.”

Graham, whose last day at Duke was Aug. 6, said her Duke career will prepare her for her future at Tennessee. She said she applied for the position early in the year, adding that her job in Tennessee will place her closer to members of her family.

“These have been, by far, some of the three best years of my career,” Graham said in an August interview. “All the experience I’ve gained here clearly put me in position to get that job at Tennessee.”

Lindsey Rupp contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “Duke Police undergoes restructuring” on social media.