Chronicle named top 10 college newspaper

The Princeton Review announced its latest college rankings and ranked  The Chronicle 9th in its top 10 list of college newspapers.

The Princeton Review ranks papers based on student interview answers to the question, "How popular is the newspaper?"  An average of 325 students are interviewed per campus "during the 2009-10 and/or previous two school years," according to The Princeton Review's press release.

The Yale Daily News topped the list, but The Chronicle is one of only four newspapers at private universities that made the top 10. Other ACC newspapers, including The Daily Tar Heel at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and The Diamondback at the University of Maryland at College Park, also topped the list.

Along with asking the 122,000 total students about their school newspapers, students surveyed are asked to answer 79 other questions "about their school's academics, administration, campus life, student body, and themselves," the press release says. Students completed the surveys online. The press release does not say how students were selected to answer the survey questions.

The Princeton Review has come under fire for its rankings and methodologies in the past. In 2003, the American Medical Association called on the Princeton Review to end its Top 20 Party Schools list. In a 2003 CBS News story, AMA representatives called the list "misleading," and claimed that it "gives college-bound students a skewed perception about 'partying' on campus.

Share and discuss “Chronicle named top 10 college newspaper” on social media.