CULTURE  |  MUSIC

She & Him - Volume 2

She & Him’s debut, Volume 1, was one of the most surprisingly adorable—and not cloyingly so—releases of the previous decade. Composed oddly if perfectly of Matt Ward and Zooey Deschanel, the duo’s follow up, aptly titled Volume 2, is a fresh-baked concoction as good as the last.

Volume 2 is much the same as its predecessor, featuring 13 short pop songs and two covers from years past. The album tones down the twang—nothing enters “I Should Have Known Better” territory here—while still basking in the A.M. radio glow of yore. Ward and Deschanel have produced more delightful pop confections, and Volume 2, to their credit, is more Gaston Lenotre than Little Debby.

Though hardly virtuosic, Ward’s guitar drives the album. It is the cupcake base for the icing that is Deschanel’s breezy singing and flighty lyrics. The instruments bolster the pixie starlet’s voice, which is certainly able, albeit limited in range. She shines on the more upbeat tracks like lead single “In the Sun” and NRBQ cover “Ridin’ in My Car.” Ward adds guest vocals on the latter track, providing that extra something—the sprinkles, if you will.

To be sure, the second outing from She & Him is insubstantial music, but it is, above all, enjoyable. To extend the baking metaphor farther than necessary, Volume 2 provides little nutrients, but it is a delightful treat and difficult to turn down.

Share and discuss “She & Him - Volume 2” on social media.