RECESS  |  CULTURE

Full Frame to honor Garbus, Kennedy

In a press release issued today, Full Frame announced the duo of Liz Garbus and Rory Kennedy, the founders of Moxie Films, will be the recipients of the festival's 2010 Career Award. From the press release:

Together, they have produced and directed a wide range of work exploring social issues through the lives of everyday people, including examinations of the U.S. legal system, AIDS, violence, abuse, and human rights.

“We are honored to celebrate the work of Liz Garbus and Rory Kennedy. It has been a privilege to exhibit their work since the Festival’s beginning,” [Director of Programming Sadie] Tillery said. “Their unique directing and producing partnership is responsible for such an incredible collection of films, and we look forward to having the opportunity to showcase a selection from their outstanding careers.”

Garbus produced and directed the Oscar-nominated The Farm: Angola USA, which also received an Emmy nod and won the first ever Full Frame (then Double Take) audience award. She also won an Emmy for 2007's Ghosts of Abu Ghraib, which Kennedy directed. Kennedy also directed 1999's American Hollow.

Last year's recipient was St. Clair Bourne.

In other Full Frame news: A press release from yesterday notes that Steve Bognar and Julia Reichert (directors of last year's The Last Truck: The Closing of a GM Plant) will curate 2010's thematic programming. The theme is labor, and a slate of films will be announced in the coming weeks.

Share and discuss “Full Frame to honor Garbus, Kennedy” on social media.