SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Terrapins visit in must-win for Duke

Coming off a lackadaisical 2-1 victory over gritty Elon, the Blue Devils face their toughest challenge of the season tonight against No. 2 Maryland at 7:00 p.m.

Duke (6-2-0, 1-2-0 in the ACC) is 2-2 in its last four games, which include losses to North Carolina and Boston College and two unimpressive victories against UNC-Wilmington and Elon. The showdown at Koskinen Stadium this evening, therefore, will be a true test of the Blue Devils’ resilience and character. With a victory, Duke will improve its conference record to 2-2 and ensure a boost in the coaches’ poll.

However, the task will not be simple. Maryland (6-2-2, 2-0-1) is the defending national champion and returns five starters, three of whom are All-ACC caliber. In addition, the Terrapins lead the all-time series against Duke 41-21-3 and defeated the Blue Devils 1-0 in their most recent matchup last September.

Although the Terrapins have dominated the series historically, the two squads recently have been evenly matched. The past ten games between the two ACC rivals have resulted in five wins for each side. Also, Maryland lacks momentum after losing its most recent game this past Wednesday versus unranked George Mason, 2-0.

“The guys are excited, confident and not intimidated,” head coach John Kerr said of his players.

The Blue Devils have a right to feel this way. Duke is unbeaten at Koskinen thus far this season and has outshot its opponents 84-54. The Blue Devil defense has been outstanding, allowing a mere seven goals in eight games and only three at home. Duke should feel comfortable with freshman goalie James Belshaw between the posts, as the rookie sensation has posted shutouts in two of his six starts.

Offensively, the Blue Devils need big performances from their leading goal scorers, junior Cole Grossman and freshman Ryan Finley. The two have combined for eight goals this year. Duke will also rely on sophomore Ryan Ruffing. Formerly known as the “fastest kid in Massachusetts” because of his exploits as a track star in high school, Ruffing scored an early goal to give the Blue Devils a lead Tuesday versus Elon.

On Sept. 25, Maryland played North Carolina, a game that was aired on Fox Soccer Channel. The live coverage gave Kerr and his staff an opportunity to further prepare for and scout out the Terrapins. In preparation for the game tonight, the Blue Devils have been working on their corner kicks, free kicks and refining their set plays.

If Duke wants a chance to win, it needs to come out with intensity and maintain it throughout the match. The Blue Devils must control possession of the ball, avoid defensive lapses and capitalize on scoring chances. Maryland is a stout opponent, and any Blue Devil mistakes will be costly. Therefore, the Blue Devils must minimize turnovers and mental errors. Duke is at great odds tonight against such a powerful adversary, but playing at home could induce a positive outcome.   

Share and discuss “Terrapins visit in must-win for Duke” on social media.