SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Seniors dominate in must-win game

Seniors KayAnne Gummersall and Elisabeth Redmond made the difference Sunday for Duke as the Blue Devils earned a key 4-1 win over No. 15 Virginia Tech.

Before Sunday’s game against Virginia Tech, senior KayAnne Gummersall was honored for being the fourth-leading scorer in Duke’s history and leading the Blue Devils to countless memorable victories in her four-year career. And by the end of the game, she had recorded a hat trick, jumped up to third on the scoring list and added one more impressive victory to her resume.

Gummersall and the Blue Devils (7-6-4, 3-3-2 in the ACC) defeatd Virginia Tech 4-1 as they riddled the No. 15 Hokies with shots and dominated the ball on their way to an impressive victory at Koskinen Stadium Sunday.

Senior Elisabeth Redmond, who is second on the all-time list for Duke in assists, added another one to her total as she assisted on one of Gummersall’s goals and also slotted a perfect pass to sophomore Cody Newman in the box which led to a penalty kick and goal by fellow senior Jane Alukonis.

And after four years playing together, it has become the norm for Redmond and Gummersall to combine for scores.

“When they come together they’re just really, really special,” head coach Robbie Church said. “Both of them have been two of the best players that we’ve ever had in this program.  It’s been an unbelieveable privelege to coach these young ladies.”

Virginia Tech (12-5-0, 5-3-0) came out looking to ruin Senior Day for the Blue Devils, scoring first on a goal by Brittany Michels.  On a corner kick in the 22nd minute, Michels kicked the ball home in the midst of a scrum in front of the net.

But Gummersall would not be denied.  

Just five minutes later, the senior captain left-footed a shot past Hokie goalie Kristin Carden, and four minutes later, she scored another off a brilliant pass by Redmond. Gummersall’s third goal of the game came in the waning minutes as she chipped the ball into the net to an ovation from the crowd. Even with the hat trick, Gummersall was quick to give credit elsewhere.

“Obviously scoring three goals is great, but I couldn’t have done it without any of [my teammates],” Gummersall said. “It’s the team, not me. I just happen to be a forward.”

This Blue Devils campaign has certainly had its ups and downs. In the final home game of her career, however, the senior Redmond was able to go out on a high note.  

“We obviously had some tough games [this year],” Redmond said. “But we’re obvoiusly peaking at the right time.”

Coming off of a 1-0 loss against conference rival Virginia last Thursday, the win was an important one for Duke, which was desperately searching for a way to improve its chances for the NCAA tournament. Church said the need for a marquee win motivated Duke on this day, but added that more wins of similar quality could be needed to ensure a bid.

And if Gummersall and Redmond can continue their exception play, as they have for their entire careers, those wins will come.

“[This game] was really special because its been four years of playing together,” Redmond said of her relationship with Gummersall, “and I know that our teamwork has meant a lot to each other and to the rest of the team.” 

Share and discuss “Seniors dominate in must-win game” on social media.