LabourLove gets tagged with Bombed

Bass beats pound from outside the door. The faint smell of a nearby beer keg wafts through the air. With DJ Paradime mixing records while break dancers from Swoon Unit perform on the floor, the opening reception of LabourLove Gallery’s Bombed: Panels, Picks, and Kicks introduced a youthful and energetic art exhibition to the Durham community.

Bombed: Panels, Picks, and Kicks features the work of artists Franco, Greg Davis, Victor Knight III, Sean Kernick and Matt Scofield. Most of the artists presented tagged graffiti panels. In a deviation from the norm, Franco exhibited illustrative works that focus on issues of race and power, displacing the human figure with the image of multi-colored hair picks.

The reception did not only offer graffiti, beats and beer, however. Bombed: Panels, Picks, and Kicks is coupled with the charitable campaign of Shoes-4-Souls. Sneakers decorated by the artists hang from the gallery’s ceiling as a reminder to viewers to donate their own used shoes to the charity.

The interactive and multi-dimensional aspect of the exhibition reflects LabourLove’s mission to not simply function as a retail art gallery, but to create a welcoming arena for the young artistic community. In its art and its attitude, LabourLove’s newest offering is for the people and of the people.

Share and discuss “LabourLove gets tagged with Bombed” on social media.