DUU's Arts Initiative to unite campus art groups

Members of the Duke University Union discuss the new Arts Initiative, which aims to unite all campus art groups under one name to help promote the arts on campus.

The arts took center stage at Tuesday night’s Duke University Union meeting.

In addition to unveiling new posters for Joe College Day, DUU members discussed plans for a new Arts Initiative and voted on a proposal for Last Day of Classes changes.

The Arts Initiative is DUU’s push to bring together all arts groups on campus under one name in order to increase awareness of the arts among students, said President Zach Perret, a senior. By combining DUU’s Visual Arts Committee with other campus groups unaffiliated with DUU, the Arts Initiative will enable other groups to make their events more successful.

Vice President of External Affairs Will Benesh, a junior, said he sent a message to all student groups on campus inviting them to join the initiative and received 25 to 30 responses. The goal of the effort is to get as many organizations as possible on board with the idea, he added.

DUU plans to work with Vice Provost for the Arts Scott Lindroth on a campus-wide exhibit as part of the initiative, said Visual Arts Director Lisa Gao, a junior. She added that open studios will be available again this year and that figure drawing sessions and art crash courses will be offered as part of an effort to expand the committee’s programs.

In other business:

DUU discussed LDOC changes and unanimously passed preliminary rules to place the LDOC committee under more direct control of DUU and Campus Council. Other specific changes regarding the LDOC committee were discussed off the record.

Additionally, members noted the success of the Homecoming scavenger hunt, in which fewer than 400 people participated. They also said Thursday’s Bull City Football Fest was successful, despite low attendance from Duke students.

DUU members also discussed possible plans for an afternoon activity on Halloween, but ultimately may not plan an event for the holiday because of low turnout last year.

Share and discuss “DUU's Arts Initiative to unite campus art groups” on social media.