Krzyzewski Offers Update On Smith's Health

Instead of wearing a blue-and-white uniform Tuesday, Nolan Smith sat on the bench in an argyle sweater and khakis.

But Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski hinted after the Blue Devils' 84-81 win over Florida State that Smith—who sustained a mild concussion last Wednesday—is progressing well and will likely be out of street clothes soon.

"We think he’ll have the opportunity to do something physical tomorrow, but we’ll see how he wakes up," Krzyzewski said. "He’s finally getting his personality back. For a few days there, he wasn’t even like himself. He’s a fun-loving kid, and he’s just starting to feel like himself."

Since Smith's injury, Duke has continued to transfer ball-handling duties to junior guard Jon Scheyer and senior guard Greg Paulus. Freshman Elliot Williams has also thrived, and he scored 14 points in 30 minutes Tuesday. Still, Blue Devil fans would like to see Smith on the floor as soon as possible, and while that might not happen in time for Sunday's matchup against North Carolina in Chapel Hill, Krzyzewski's prognosis Tuesday was much brighter than it was Saturday.

"I think it’s still a stretch for him to play Sunday, but that’s a long way away," he said. "But we’ll see how he goes along. I think he’ll do some physical stuff tomorrow, not basketball stuff, but maybe get on a bike tomorrow."

Share and discuss “Krzyzewski Offers Update On Smith's Health” on social media.