Smith Out Indefinitely, "Extremely Doubtful" For Saturday's Game

Duke sophomore Nolan Smith suffered a mild concussion early in the second half of Duke's win over Maryland Wednesday and will be sidelined indefinitely, the program announced in a statement Thursday. A team spokesman added that it is "extremely doubtful" that Smith will play in Duke's game at Virginia Tech Saturday, and that the medical staff will continue to monitor his progress.

"Nolan's condition improved overnight, but we are going to proceed cautiously," head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement.

Smith ran into a screen from Maryland's Dave Neal with more than 15 minutes remaining and he did not return in the Blue Devils' win in College Park. Krzyzewski and Jose Fonseca, the team's assistant athletic trainer, treated Smith on the floor. He sat on the bench for a few minutes before retreating to the locker room.

Krzyzewski said after the game that Smith had not been nauseous during or after the game, and that he was with his mother and stepfather. A team spokesman could not confirm an earlier report that Smith had been taken to the hospital, but he did say that Smith was not in the hospital as of Thursday afternoon.

Share and discuss “Smith Out Indefinitely, "Extremely Doubtful" For Saturday's Game” on social media.