Group OKs funding for 'Pangaea' library party

Tonight, the Bostock and Perkins libraries are simply locations where students can study and work. Come Friday, Feb. 27, however, they will transport students and faculty to locales all over the world.

At the Duke University Union's weekly executive meeting Tuesday night, members agreed to cosponsor and help finance the International Association's event, "Pangaea: One World. One Party."

"We want to promote a message and try to internationalize campus and celebrate diversity at the same time," said IA President Nayantara Atal, a senior. "We were hoping that DUU could come along with us on this event."

Atal's presentation included visualizations of the various themed rooms-Africa in Perkins, Middle East and South Asia in von der Heyden, techno "Club Pangaea" in Link and an East Asian faculty and senior lounge in Bostock.

In addition, she added that the event will be raising money for the Aalok Modi Global Health Fund, which was established this year in memory of Modi by three seniors.

Atal said although she realizes the Union is not a funding organization, IA still needed $567.38 to cover the entirety of the event's cost, an amount DUU members agreed to provide.

"[IA has] really exhausted all possible funding options," said junior Gabriela Borges, a member of IA and DUU's vice president of programming. "$500 may be a nominal fee to [DUU], but it will really go a long way for the event. If we don't get it, I really don't know where we'll get the money from."

Near the end of the meeting, President Chamindra Goonewardene, a senior, said the Union hoped to jump-start an alumni dinner program in tandem with the Alumni Association, featuring Duke graduates working in TV, radio, marketing or other programming-related careers.

"We're trying to bring alumni who are in nontraditional careers back to Duke," he said. "The program didn't really get off its feet last year, but we're hoping to have from 10 to 15 conversations between Spring Break and the end of the semester."

In other business:

Campus Concerts will be hosting Battle of the Bands Saturday, March 21. Twelve student bands---six from Duke, six from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill-will face off at the Duke Coffeehouse on East Campus.

Tickets for comedian B.J. Novak sold out in just under 24 hours, Goonewardene reported. Novak's stand-up performance will take place Saturday, Feb. 28, in Page Auditorium.

Share and discuss “Group OKs funding for 'Pangaea' library party” on social media.