CC votes to change channels

After debating the potential merits of the Oxygen channel and Country Music Television, Campus Council members voted to replace four channels in Duke's standard cable package with programming that will cater more to the Duke international community.

The council voted to cut CSPAN-2, The Weather Channel, truTV and WRPX (ION), in favor of including Fox Soccer, BBC America, CNBC World and the Tennis Channel to the Devilvision package. Eddie Hull, dean of residence life and executive director of housing services, said that because the current Devilvision package is full, the addition of these programs would not be an option and instead substitutions needed to be made. It would be possible to have OIT switch the channels as early as next Monday, he added.

Campus Council President Molly Bierman, a senior, said Campus Council was approached by the International Association, which wanted to work with them in order to create television options specifically for international students. IA then identified four options that were already part of the Time Warner package and that would appeal to their constituency.

Administrators and student groups worked swiftly to be responsive to the needs of international students, Bierman said.

"It's taken a lot of different groups to come to the table with this," she said. "This is a good example of group cooperation to get things done."

In other business:

Campus Council Vice President Kevin Thompson, a senior, introduced a long-term project to revitalize the Graduate Resident position on West Campus.

Share and discuss “CC votes to change channels” on social media.