Beyond the Arc: Gameday Virginia Tech

Abbreviated version, folks, as it's Friday night and I've got an early-morning drive to Blacksburg to look forward to tomorrow, so let's get right to the good stuff:

brittonTHE DENOUEMENT: Wins in these next two games at Virginia Tech and at home against Florida State virtually ensure that the Blue Devils will be no worse than the second seed in the ACC Tournament and mean the finale against UNC will be for at least a share of the regular-season title. Even with a loss to the Tar Heels, Duke would be in good standing for a 2-seed come Selection Sunday (provided it doesn't suffer a bad upset in the ACC Tourney).

That's a lot of ifs, though, starting with tomorrow's game at Cassell Coliseum--never an easy place for the Blue Devils to win. Virginia Tech will drag Duke into the kind of game it wants to play: slower-paced, more sluggish, more turnovers, more physical. But, as long as the Blue Devils prevent either Malcolm Delaney or A.D. Vassallo from getting hot on the perimeter (while Vassallo is the more consistent shooter, Delaney can get on streaks that resemble NBA Jam), I don't think the Hokies have enough on offense to stick with Duke. There won't be any 13-point halves, but the Blue Devils keep a second straight opponent under 50 percent shooting and escape with a close win.

THE VERDICT: Duke, 72-66.

Share and discuss “Beyond the Arc: Gameday Virginia Tech” on social media.