ACC champs see NCAA draw

The Blue Devils won a share of the ACC title Tuesday with a win over Wake Forest in the familiar confines of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Now, they will have to win in a less familiar setting to keep playing.

After Duke (24-8, 15-5 in the ACC) topped the Demon Deacons to earn a portion of the conference title with North Carolina, it was rewarded with a trip to Los Angeles to play San Francisco in the first round of the NCAA tournament Dec. 3. It is Duke's fourth straight NCAA tournament appearance.

The Blue Devils are in the Austin, Texas regional, but to advance to the Lone Star State, they would have to beat the winner of No. 14 UCLA's matchup with LSU. Duke, North Carolina and Clemson all made the tournament from the ACC.

Although it was the seniors' last game in Cameron, a freshman managed to steal the show.

Reigning ACC player of the week Kellie Catanach collected 45 assists and a career-high 20 digs in the Blue Devils' 3-1 win Tuesday.

The ACC title was the second conference championship for Duke's seniors and juniors, and head coach Jolene Nagel's second in 10 years.

It is the ninth league title in Duke history.

"I couldn't be more proud than I was tonight of this team," Nagel said. "They've really worked together, challenged each other, supported each other and have stuck together.

"They've continued to improve throughout the season, and I'm happy for them to have earned this championship."

Share and discuss “ACC champs see NCAA draw” on social media.