Bar offers a taste of Williamsburg

Last Saturday, it became official: Durham hipsters have a new Mecca. Playing host to two nights of the Troika Music Festival, the Pinhook opened its arms to eager concertgoers, introducing many to its exposed red brick walls, mix-matched furniture, aged wooden floors and comfortable atmosphere.

I knew I was in the right place when I spotted two PBRs on a nearby table in the cozy seating area by the front window.

Durham band the Travesties were sound-checking as I took in the scene. Honestly, I couldn't distinguish between the performers and the audience. Everyone looked like they could have been in a band. Some played the free Pac Man arcade game, some waited at the bar, others watched the stage. An iPod behind the bar played Arcade Fire. All were drinking PBR.

"It's really packed tonight," said James Booker, singer and lead guitarist of I Was Totally Destroying It, a Chapel Hill-based band. Booker, along with bandmates James Hepler and Rachel Hirsh, was obviously thrilled to have a fresh stage in the area.

"Durham could definitely absorb more places like this," Hepler said. "You go to the American Tobacco Campus and spend $50 in one night. And that's great if you have that to spend, but we need more places like this, where you only drop $15."

I have to agree that $15 (which would include cover and three tallboys) was a great price for an evening that begged comparison to the much-hyped Brooklyn indie bar culture. As the Travesties frontman, known simply as "Viva," scaled a table during the band's set, I was confident the Pinhook would be well-known for its live music. Welcome to the Williamsburg of the South.

Brooklyn wasn't the only scene drawing comparisons.

"I lived in Manchester, England for 2 years," said Durham resident Gretchen Laming. "There's a great music scene there. You can easily walk from venue to venue. This reminds me of that."

There was definitely an excitement in the air Saturday. Musicians and fans alike sensed Pinhook's potential. Indeed, Booker expressed the only fear of the night: "I just hope it stays open."

The Pinhook is at 117 W. Main St. in Durham.

Share and discuss “Bar offers a taste of Williamsburg” on social media.