gang gang dance

In the wake of new-age dance-rock bands like Architecture in Helsinki and Crystal Castles comes Brooklyn quartet Gang Gang Dance with Saint Dymphna. From driving dance beats, layers of synthesizers and detached feminine vocals emerge a soundtrack for a beautifully sweaty, freaky sex party in the trendiest Williamsburg apartment imaginable. As Time Out New York exaggerates, Gang Gang Dance has "found the g-spot of the universe."

Listeners be warned; innovation may come at the price of inaccessibility. While some tracks border on annoying ambience, "First Communion" is ready-made for hipster dance parties. A synthesized introduction is soon eclipsed by a refreshing reggaeton drum sample that is quickly surrounded by vague, echoing vocals and inhospitable guitar riffs. The natural-sounding drums provide something to hold on to amidst the cacophony. Like the sweat on the lower back of an anonymous grind partner in a drug-induced euphoria, the drum sound may be the only reminder that we are still in a physical universe.

From here, the album slips into even stranger territory. As the instrumental track "Vacuum" floats along, eyes glaze and minds wander, for better or worse. The minimalist "Inners Pace" is a collection of harsh percussion samples organized into a moderately interesting rhythm. Saint then fades in to "Afoot," where lead singer Liz Bougatsos delivers chillingly nonsensical vocals. It's modern dance music meets psychedelic acid tests.

Saint Dymphna will take some on a strange trip, assuming you can make it through the 11 songs. Some won't get past the opening tracks, labeling the sound as just too weird. I guess you're either on the bus or off the bus.

Share and discuss “gang gang dance” on social media.