James Madison serves as quality opening test

Ranked in the top five of almost every Division I-AA poll, James Madison is far from a season-opening pushover.

Two years ago, Duke opened up against Division I-AA Richmond at home and suffered a surprising 13-0 defeat at the hands of the Spiders, another one of the college football subdivision's powerhouses. But this season, the Blue Devils recognize the difficulties the Dukes will pose Saturday in the first game of the David Cutcliffe era-no matter what division they play in.

"We couldn't have a tougher opponent," Cutcliffe said. "They're used to winning. These guys are going to come in here and play, and they're going to play their rear ends off... Anybody we play right now gets our hands full, but especially a team like James Madison that knows how to win."

And the Dukes-not Duke-may have the best player on the field Saturday in Rodney Landers, whom Cutcliffe dubbed the Tim Tebow of Division I-AA.

Led by their fifth-year senior quarterback, the Dukes (8-4 in 2007) posted 410 yards of offense per game last season against legitimate opponents including North Carolina and Appalachian State, the darling of Division I-AA that upset Michigan on last season's opening day.

Working out of a spread offense and utilizing the option, Landers averaged over 100 yards of rushing by himself in 2007. The success of the run game is the product of Landers' athleticism and elusiveness combined with the squad's offensive line, paced by preseason All-American Scott Lemn at center.

The Dukes surrendered a mere six sacks in their entire campaign last year-about 16 fewer than the average Division I-AA squad. The Blue Devils gave up 45 in 2007.

"Nobody can get their hands on [Landers]," Cutcliffe said. "They're going to run the option.... They are a very multiple offensive football team that can power you or finesse you, either one."

Defensively, James Madison is less imposing. Stopping the run is the team's first priority and consequently, the Dukes load the box at the line of scrimmage, utilizing an eight-man front scheme.

More than anything, James Madison has proven it can win on a consistent basis. Over the last 13 years, the Dukes have made the postseason six times, a feat their Saturday counterparts wish they could claim.

Share and discuss “James Madison serves as quality opening test” on social media.