Ross, Mayer Staying; Greer Still Undecided

Inside Lacrosse talked with Duke head coach John Danowski last week, and he told the lacrosse website that midfielder Brad Ross and defenseman Kevin Mayer will use their NCAA-granted fifth years of eligibility at Duke, while attackman Josh Covalevski will use his at Delaware and midfielder Bo Carrington will forego his extra year. Attackman Zack Greer, the most important player with the option of returning, is still undecided, Danowski said.

Ross played a critical role in Duke's Final Four run this year, starting every game and finishing fourth on the team with 25 goals, trailing only Greer, Max Quinzani and Matt Danowski. His 33 points were fifth-most on the team. Mayer played in 12 games and Covalevski saw time in 14, posting seven points. Carrington scored five goals in 11 games, but suffered from a career-ending herniated disk that will keep him out of action next year.

Greer, a Tewaraaton Trophy finalist, did not declare for the MLL Draft and has either the option of returning for another year in Durham or attending graduate school at another institution. The NCAA's all-time leading scorer and the top goal scorer in the country this year would obviously affect Duke's quest for its first national title next season.

“Zack’s a very private person,” Danowski told IL. “I think that we all assume because he hasn’t used his eligibility that he’s coming back. I assume he’s going to play somewhere but I don’t know where.”

We'll continue to report this story from our end and let you know when we hear more about Greer.

by Ben Cohen

Share and discuss “Ross, Mayer Staying; Greer Still Undecided” on social media.