SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Seminoles edge Duke in ACC tournament

Third-seeded Florida State topped No. 6 Duke 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament Friday, knocking the Blue Devils out of the conference championship for the second straight season.

The Seminoles (19-4) took a point at doubles before sweeping Duke (10-13) at the first three singles matches to clinch the victory and move on in the tournament at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Fla.

Jean-Yves Aubone and Clint Bowles, Florida State's top doubles squad, beat Duke's David Goulet and Christopher Price 8-5. When Bradley Mixson and Drew Bailey topped Blue Devils Dylan Arnould and Alex Stone 8-6, the Seminoles had wrapped up the match's lone doubles point.

Duke did not fare better in singles play.

Aubone beat Goulet at first singles 6-2, 6-2. Bowles then topped Duke's third-singles player Kiril Dimitrov 6-2, 6-2.

At fifth singles, Mixson defeated Alain Michel 6-3, 6-3 to end the match.

The three ongoing singles matches went unfinished, as Florida State had already sealed the victory.

With the loss in the league tournament, Duke now must await its postseason fate as the NCAA tournament field will be announced April 29.

After losing to Florida State in the ACC tournament last year, the Blue Devils recevied an at-large berth in the NCAA field and advanced to the second round before losing 4-3 to Alabama.

Share and discuss “Seminoles edge Duke in ACC tournament” on social media.