Danowski lifts Duke, joins elite club

For No. 3 Duke, it was a welcome return to the win column after suffering its first loss to Georgetown last Saturday.

For star captain Matt Danowski, it was another record-breaking performance.

Posting three goals and three assists in the Blue Devils' 10-3 victory over Harvard Tuesday at Koskinen Stadium, Danowski became just the third player in NCAA history to register 150 goals and 150 assists in a career. He joins the ranks of Air Force's Joe Vasta (173 goals and 170 assists) and Syracuse's Michael Powell (150 goals and 157 assists) as the only players in college lacrosse history to reach this milestone.

The fifth-year attackman and reigning Tewaaraton Trophy winner also leads the nation in total points this season, with 22 goals and 26 assists.

Duke (9-1), however, didn't start out strong. The Crimson (4-3) smelled an upset, notching the first two goals of the game and holding the Blue Devils scoreless for most of the first quarter.

In the closing minutes of the period, Ned Crotty netted a score to put Duke on the board.

Then the floodgates opened.

The Blue Devils tallied the next nine goals of the contest before Harvard added another score late in the fourth quarter. By then, it was too late.

Senior captain Zack Greer finished with a hat trick of his own, giving him 167 career goals, sixth most in NCAA history.

Sophomore Max Quinzani, who has scored in every game he's played this season, continued his breakout year when he capped off the night with his nation-leading 29th goal midway through the fourth quarter. With opponents primarily focused on Duke stars Danowski and Greer, Quinzani has often found himself open when the defense is looking the other way. In half as many games, he has already surpassed his freshman total of 24 goals.

Sophomore Sam Payton helped the Blue Devils control the time of possession with his big play off the draw, winning 8-of-11 face-offs.

After stopping just two of Harvard's four shots on goal in the first period, goalie Dan Loftus settled down and saved the next eight shots on net before he was pulled with seven minutes remaining the game.

Duke next travels to Hempstead, N.Y. Saturday to play Dartmouth. The Blue Devils beat the Big Green, 17-11 to open their season in February 2007.

After that, the Blue Devils will have a week to prepare for its most-hyped game of the year, a rematch of last season's national championship against No. 8 Johns Hopkins at Koskinen.

Share and discuss “Danowski lifts Duke, joins elite club” on social media.