Fencers shine at home in Duke Invitational

The Duke men finished 5-0 Friday to win the foil and saber team trophies at the Duke Fencing Invitational in Card Gym.

Junior Peter Truszkowski led the saber squad to a 5-0 record and freshman foil Dorian Cohen paced the foil team, which finished 4-1. Both Truszkowski and Cohen picked up 13 wins.

Laughlin Stewart followed Truszkowski on the saber team with an 11-4 record, while David Eitel rounded out the top line with a 6-6 clip.

Senior foil Ben Hendricks, who finished 12-3, helped his team to a 30-15 final points margin. In the Blue Devils' 14-13 win over North Carolina, Hendricks broke the deadlock in the final match with a critical touch at 4-4 to take his third win of the match and give Duke the decision.

On the women's side Saturday, freshman foil Allison Putterman led all Blue Devils with 10 wins.

The saber team went 3-2, topped by junior captain Jessica Hancock, whose 9-7 record on the day pushed her season total to a team-leading 49-32. Senior Amanda Goldenberg, in addition, tallied seven wins.

Freshman Erin Pytel led the epee team with a 7-8 record, followed by sophomores Jenny Kim and Nicole Bloom.

Both teams return to action next weekend, when they travel to Charlotte for the Junior Olympics.

Share and discuss “Fencers shine at home in Duke Invitational” on social media.