Seniors to stay in Few

Contrary to previous statements, graduating seniors living in Few Quadrangle will be allowed to stay in their rooms until after commencement, Residence Life and Housing Services announced Friday.

Residents who are graduating, participating in commencement activities or competing on athletics teams now have until May 12 at noon to move out, Eddie Hull, dean of residence life and executive director of housing services, wrote in an e-mail to Few residents.

RLHS had previously informed these students that they would have to move into Bell Tower Residence Hall on East Campus or bunk with a friend in another quadrangle before graduation because of renovations set to begin in May.

Several seniors said they had not considered their housing plans in between exams and graduation.

"I've been busy with other things, like grad school applications," senior Andrew Yeh said. "I don't even think about graduating right now."

Senior Sruthi Thatchenkery said she had not planned to move into another on-campus room.

"I was just going to go home, instead of moving to a different room and coming back with my family," she said.

Smoke-filled rooms in Few

Few Quadrangle residents have been warned not to smoke in their rooms and will face punishment if they do, Residence Coordinator Ayesha Yousafzai wrote in an e-mail Monday.

Within the past few days, some rooms have been filled with smoke because residents in other rooms had been smoking indoors, she said. The smoke is traveling through the air vents into other parts of the building.

"If we get any more reports of people smoking in their rooms, Duke police will immediately be called for an investigation," Yousafzai wrote. "Students found in violation will go through the Duke Judicial Process for policy violation."

Since the beginning of the semester, one student, who wished to remain anonymous, said she has smelled smoke in her room periodically. She reported the smoke to her resident advisor and RC because she thought it was a safety hazard.

"If you're not a smoker, it's very evident when there's smoke in your room," she said. "It's irritating as well."

Share and discuss “Seniors to stay in Few” on social media.