Singler heads talented freshman class

With refined scoring talents that have elicited comparisons to Larry Bird and Dirk Nowitzki, Kyle Singler is certainly an expert at drawing the attention of opposing defenses. But as good as the uber-talented freshman may be in that capacity, he might enjoy drawing with a pen and pencil even more.

"Through high school, I took drawing classes and art classes, so I just love to draw," Singler said. "I just have a passion to express how I see things."

Duke fans are hoping to see Singler's masterwork on the canvas of Cameron this season. If head coach Mike Krzyzewski has anything to say about it, his highly-touted freshman will be a big part of the Blue Devils' picture from day one.

"He's the kid that if we started a game tonight, he would start for us, and everyone on the team would say, 'That would be good,'" Krzyzewski said. "He's going to be a special player."

Krzyzewski isn't the only person to have called the 6-foot-9, 220-pound Singler "special" over the past few years. Heralded by most recruiting services as Duke's top signee in the Class of 2007 and ranked as the sixth-best player nationally by scout.com, the Medford, Ore. native averaged 29.3 points and 10.6 rebounds per game en route to a state title and McDonald's All-American honors.

But despite the torrent of praise and accolades he's received, Singler knows that the complimentary words from his Hall of Fame coach stand out a little more.

"I know that Coach K has a lot of confidence in myself, and I have a lot of confidence in Coach K," Singler said. "He's not throwing out BS. He's saying that as if I'm ready and I've prepared myself, and I take it as a compliment. But I don't want to hold back-I still want to get better."

For Singler, the desire to improve himself and his game is nothing new. A naturally gifted athlete, Singler played football, baseball and basketball in high school. For the South Medford Panthers, he showed his athletic versatility by winning all-state honors at quarterback in his junior campaign after being named first-team all-conference at tight end and defensive back as a sophomore.

All those achievements, however, are just an added bonus to a prep career that includes two state basketball titles.

But in today's era of specialization and year-round competition, Singler made the tough decision before his senior year to drop football in order to dedicate himself full-time to basketball.

"Whenever you give up a sport that you love, it kind of hurts," Singler said. "But I wanted to focus on basketball. Nowadays, kids are focusing on one sport and getting better. I had to give up a thing I loved to get better in another, so I guess that's how it works."

Although his football days are behind him, Singler still embraces the physically intense mentality of his former sport when he hits the hardwood. With Duke's lack of size in the frontcourt, possible lineup combinations could leave Singler as the tallest Blue Devil on the floor at times.

And while he describes himself as "an inside and outside" player, Singler certainly isn't afraid to spend a lot of time in the paint.

"That's kind of where my football instincts take place," Singler said. "I love going in there and fighting for the boards--whatever it takes to help the team win."

But as his performance in Duke's two exhibition games has shown, Singler can do much more than just rebound. The freshman has led the team in scoring in both games, showing a propensity to nail both difficult jumpers and the easier putbacks on the block.

"I'm not a flashy player, but I do get the work done," Singler said. "Whether it's scoring points, getting rebounds-its just a matter of when you do it, not how you do it."

With his well-rounded physical skills on display, Singler does not seem to have many gaps in his game. But when prompted to point out an area where he could improve, the forward singled out his mental approach to the game- as a critical element in his adjustment to the college level.

"Coach K this season has stressed thinking while you're out on the basketball court, and its totally different from high school," Singler said. "You really have to use your head, whether it's talking without the ball or setting up plays."

Singler knows that he will only make strides in this area once the season starts and he gains real-game experience. But that should not come as a surprise for an individual who has always sought out ways to improve his basketball game and his artwork.

Singler's favorite drawing is one of he and his brother celebrating a state basketball title. If the freshman has his way, however, he'll be able to draw a new masterpiece in the spring-this time with a net around his neck and a much bigger trophy in his grasp.

Share and discuss “Singler heads talented freshman class” on social media.