SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Blue Devils excel in All-American Qualifiers

Duke's womens' tennis players continued their strong run at the 2007 Riviera/ITA Womens' All-American Championships, with freshman Reka Zsilinskza and the doubles paring of sophomore Elizabeth Plotkin and freshman Ellah Nze both winning their matches to stay alive in the tournament at the Riviera Tennis Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.

Zsilinszka won twice Tuesday to move on to her final qualifying match. She defeated Georgia's Yvette Hyndman in a 6-3, 6-1 match before downing Carol Sage of Clemson, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 in the second round.

The 35th-ranked doubles duo of Plotkin and Nze beat Kelly and Yvette Hyndman of Georgia 9-8(4) in the first round, placing them against Tracy Lin and Andrea Remynse of UCLA in the second round of the doubles division.

Plotkin and Nze also competed in the singles division of the tournament but fell Tuesday. The 102th-nationally ranked Plotkin defeated Cristina Visico of California 6-1, 1-0 ret., in the opening round but lost to UCLA's Yasmin Schr 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4 in the second round. Nze lost early to Georgia Tech's Kirsten Flower, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (3).

Four doubles teams and eight singles players will advance to the All-American main draw, which will be held on Oct. 4-7.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils excel in All-American Qualifiers” on social media.