Duke eyes win over Big Ten champs

With a demanding conference schedule that features clashes with six top-10 teams, it might seem wise for Duke to schedule non-conference opponents that do not present major challenges.

Nothing could be further from the truth, however, when the fourth-ranked Blue Devils (1-1) square off against William and Mary (2-0) Saturday at 1 p.m. and No. 10 Iowa (1-1) Sunday at 1 p.m. in the first contests played at the newly-renovated Williams Field.

"These games are incredibly important for us," head coach Beth Bozman said. "We have a huge game with William and Mary, who is in our region. Iowa is another huge game with important considerations."

The contest against the Hawkeyes could be particularly challenging, as Iowa heads into the contest battle-tested. The Hawkeyes blanked No. 2 Wake Forest 3-0 before falling to No. 3 North Carolina 5-2 this past weekend. The defending Big 10 Champions return two regional All-Americans to a roster featuring eight juniors. Iowa is led by last season's Big 10 freshman of the year, Caitlin McCurdy. Last year, Duke trailed the Hawkeyes 2-0 before coming from behind to win 3-2 in overtime.

For the Blue Devils to fend off the Hawkeyes this time around, they must continue to show the signs of improvement evident in last Sunday's 2-0 win over No. 14 Louisville.

"We always emphasize the idea of learning," junior midfielder and co-captain Laura Suchoski said. "We try to take away a lot of important lessons."

In particular, the Blue Devils aim to improve their offensive production. Duke was outshot 14-9 in its loss to the Bobcats, and only mustered six shots in their win against the Cardinals. Bozman was particularly displeased with her team's passing, especially in the loss to Ohio.

The future could be bright for Duke, though, if its freshmen continue to play at a high level-the rookies scored two of the three goals this past weekend. Susan Ferger and Camille Dagorn both scored their first collegiate goals, making persuasive pitches for permanent spots in the starting lineup, and Casey Beyel made her first collegiate assist.

"It's a lot of work, but it's really fun," Ferger said. "The girls are very supportive. We have our eye on a successful season, but we're trying to focus on the games at hand."

The Blue Devils could take a major step towards a successful season with two wins this weekend. And although the team showed signs of immaturity last weekend, their growing chemistry could propel the squad to its first win against a top-10 team.

Share and discuss “Duke eyes win over Big Ten champs” on social media.