Book Review: 300

300, the graphic novel and inspiration for the new movie by the same name, is a vividly illustrated tale of Sparta's last stand against the armies of Xerxes in 480 B.C. The account of Leonidas and his army of 300 Spartans by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley becomes a gripping, bloody adult graphic novel featuring simplistic, no-nonsense dialogue and dark, yet elaborate illustrations. Fans will notice the similarities between this illustration and the style used in Sin City, another of Miller's works later adapted for the big screen.

300 is a good read for both comic-book enthusiasts and college students on spring break alike. Miller succeeds at creating vastly complex characters. He introduces subtle humor as seen with "Stumblios" and the meeting with the ephors. But Leonidas and his men captivate our imagination the most with their self-sacrifice and heroism.

One major fault of the comic-that we can only hope is corrected on the big screen-is the lack of set-up. Miller begins the story as the soldiers prepare for battle and only fleetingly informs the reader about some events that led these men to battle. While a vivid graphic novel, 300 is not a textbook or timeline, and readers may not understand the historical importance of the story.

Also, Leonidas' confidence and fortitude in the face of Xerxes is attributed more to his character and less to the ideologies he represents. Spartan fighters serve as symbols for the relatively free democratic cities in contrast with the dictatorship of the Persian Empire, and Miller has trouble incorporating these broader themes into his graphic tale of the battle of Thermopylae.

Even with its faults, 300 is a fantastic story with stunning artistry. Its short length makes it a great light read for your travels to the beach this coming week.

Share and discuss “Book Review: 300” on social media.