Maryland looks for revenge in rematch

Given its tendency to frequently play to the level of its competition, top-ranked Duke should be awfully happy about the rest of its schedule.

The No. 1 Blue Devils (27-0, 12-0 in the ACC) have two top-10 teams standing in between them and the first undefeated regular season in school history. But before they can make history or start worrying about a looming rematch against No. 2 North Carolina, Duke must turn its attention to No. 6 Maryland.

After all, the Terrapins (25-3, 9-3) shocked the Blue Devils in last year's national championship, storming back from 13 points down in the second half. Duke got its revenge Jan. 13 in Cameron Indoor Stadium in the form of an 81-62 rout. The Blue Devils look to sweep the season series Sunday at 6 p.m. in College Park, Md.

"It's going to be another great environment," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "I'm sure they've learned a lot from the last game, and we've learned a lot as well. We played well, but we didn't play overall a great game."

Although the circumstances of this game are decidedly different than the last time the two teams squared off, one thing has remained constant-Duke's suffocating defense.

Maryland shot just 37.8 percent from the floor in its last meeting with the Blue Devils. Duke leads the country in field goal defense-holding its opponents to a paltry 32.1 percent clip. In addition, the Blue Devils limited Maryland's primary offensive weapon, Crystal Langhorne, to 14 points.

"They got open shots-they didn't hit some of their shots," Goestenkors said. "So we need to make sure we really tighten things up on the defensive end."

In the first meeting this year, senior Lindsey Harding was nearly unstoppable, scoring a career-high 28 points. Playing in front of a sold-out crowd, the Blue Devils had vengeance on their mind and home-court advantage on their side.

This time, the atmosphere inside the Comcast Center will be less hospitable, as Maryland, too, expects a sold-out crowd. The Blue Devils, though, have thrived in hostile environments-they topped No. 4 Tennessee and the Tar Heels on the road.

"We're looking forward to another great challenge," Goestenkors said.

Duke does not have the revenge mindset this time, as the Harding-led squad has been at the top of the polls since Jan. 15. Prior to the first Maryland game, Goestenkors reminded her team that this contest wasn't last year's title game-the Blue Devils could not go back in time and steal a victory.

And although a win Sunday still cannot avenge the national championship defeat or win this year's title with a win Sunday, it could go a long way in providing momentum for a this season's championship run.

Share and discuss “Maryland looks for revenge in rematch” on social media.