Black learns to help from the bench

As the clock wound down Feb. 25 against North Carolina, Chante Black watched from the bench as her team completed its first-ever perfect regular season.

It has become a routine occurrence for Black this season, as the would-be junior has been forced to the sidelines with a right knee injury that has caused her to redshirt the 2006-07 season.

Rather than focus on her inability to play, Black has embraced another role on the team.

"I'm their cheerleader and support system," Black said. "It kind of sucks to be sitting out and you know that you can contribute to the team, but I try to help them out in other ways."

Black, who suffered the debilitating knee injury during Duke's preseason training camp, began the season with of returning during the year. With each passing game, however, it became evident to the Blue Devils that their 6-foot-5 center would not be back this season.

After already rising to No. 7 on Duke's all-time blocks list in only two years, the Blue Devils were expected to have one of the most dominant front courts in the country, with Black playing alongside 6-foot-7 Alison Bales.

Instead, Duke has been forced to turn to unlikely sources to fill the void left by Black, including sophomore Carrem Gay and freshman Joy Cheek.

"We didn't anticipate that she would be out all year," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "We were just getting great minutes from all the freshmen and the young players while she was out, and the longer it went we continued to win."

After she first sustained the injury, Black became accustomed to the rigorous rehabilitation sessions needed to strengthen and improve her knee's mobility. Although now she is nearing full recovery, Black continues to look back on those first few months with a pained expression.

"In the beginning of the season we had to do our photo shoot for the poster," Black said. "I had to stand like a flamingo for nearly two hours because I wasn't able to put any weight on my knee."

Her attitude toward her injury is an indication of her positive personality on the team. Coming to Duke two years ago, Black was more reserved, earning a shy reputation. With her new role as a vocal motivator from the bench, she has become one of the more talkative Blue Devils.

"Chante is just a really strong person with a great sense of humor," Bales said. "She's done a great job accepting everything that's going on and trying to come back."

Although Black is aware that she will not be able to participate on the court in the Blue Devils' quest for their first national championship, her voice is sure to be heard from the bench, continuing to provide the vocal spirit and motivation.

Share and discuss “Black learns to help from the bench” on social media.