Late-night program gets mixed reviews from frosh

Since 2005, freshmen have had something to do every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night.

And no, it's not going to a section party or Shooters, but instead attending Devils After Dark-the late-night programming series on East Campus. Coordinated by the 12 freshman dormitories, DAD has held events ranging from a cappella concerts to poker nights.

"My hope is that people are less quick now to say that there's nothing going on on campus during the weekends because there is something going on every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night," said Beth Harper, East Campus event coordinator for Residence Life and Housing Services.

By holding its events on weekend nights from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., DAD regularly has to compete with other social events like section parties and clubs. In this way, the events are generally designed as alternatives to those social events, said freshman Alex Todisco, who has helped facilitate some of the programs.

Students said the popularity of this alternative programming varies from event to event.

"It's tough to compete with alcohol, girls and socializing. It's tough to beat that," freshman Scott Casale said. "But if there's some event that seems like it's going to be very popular and a lot of friends are going to be there, then I would certainly be more inclined to go to that event."

Casale said DAD events provide an alternative to the "frat party scene," but added that most weekends he wouldn't consider going.

"I would go to a frat party over a DAD event, unless DAD was giving cars out or something," he said. "Or if they were giving out some substantial thing I might stop by and hang out."

Other students said those events that are more unique and require more planning are generally the most popular.

"A lot of the programs are game nights, and you can play a game in your own dorm," Todisco said. "I think people go to [DAD events] if its convenient to them or if it's different, like speed dating."

Although big events like speed dating have attracted many freshmen, Todisco said that on most normal weekend nights, freshmen will choose to go to a frat party rather than to a DAD event. "If its just a poker or movie night, and if there's a lot of frat parties going on, then there's not really that much attendance at all," Todisco said. "Usually people, if they're not going to frat parties, are hanging out in their dorm or doing homework."

But Todisco added that more publicity for DAD events would go a long way to increasing attendance. The Late Night Programming Committee, which plans DAD events, has worked hard this year to increase awareness, Harper said. Flyers, an e-mail bulletin and even an AOL Instant Messenger screenname are used to advertise events.

She added that advertising and student involvement in planning events are critical to the program's success. "It's still really evolving," Harper said. "I would hope that student involvement and participation will continue because I think that is really important."

Share and discuss “Late-night program gets mixed reviews from frosh” on social media.