Study aims to use genetics to enhance medications

The Duke Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy recently initiated a study called GENErations to explore the potential application of genetic research and to advance the field of pharmacogenetics.

The study, done in collaboration with the Department of Community and Family Medicine, aims to use DNA testing in a clinical environment to improve the efficacy of medications for common diseases such as hypertension, asthma and high cholesterol, GENErations research associate Iris Grossman said.

"This study is to understand how genetic variation influences how people respond to commonly used medications," said Geoffrey Ginsburg, director of the IGSP Center for Genomic Medicine. "[We hope] to use the information from the study to design clinically relevant algorithms to optimize the medication's benefits."

GENErations, which admitted its first patient Nov. 9, will be conducted in two phases. In the first phase researchers will gather genetic data about the patients at the clinic and will use the data to personalize medicine according to each individual's unique genotype in the second phase.

"On the clinical side of things, [GENErations] develops a unique framework for developing drugs in a real-world setting," Ginsburg said. "On a more social level, it allows us to begin to understand the attitudes and perspectives of Durham residents about research."

Ginsburg added that GENErations is a first-of-its-kind study undertaken to bridge the gap between research and clinical practice and integrate genetics into everyday medicine.

"We'd like to find out how frequently some of the genetic variations occur in a clinic population, and whether there is any association between genetic variation and medications," Lloyd Michener, professor and chairman of the Department of Community and Family Medicine, wrote in an e-mail.

Although genetic profiling is still a novel technique, Michener said he anticipates that routine genetic testing will come sooner rather than later.

He added that GENErations hopes to show patients and doctors the purpose and benefits of genetic testing.

With Durham residents as the study's subjects, a secondary goal of GENErations is to gauge public opinion on clinical research and the field of pharmacogenetics.

"It is important for us to try and engage people in the community and get them to participate in the study and help us raise awareness," Grossman said.

Share and discuss “Study aims to use genetics to enhance medications” on social media.