New look at guard buoys Hurricanes

Coming off a disappointing 2006 season, the Hurricanes hope to become a formidable force in the ACC this year.

Last season, Miami failed to clinch an NCAA Tournament berth, instead ending its season with a quarterfinal loss in postseason NIT play. While they struggled last year in conference games, the Hurricanes continue to look to improve for the the upcoming season, despite the loss of star seniors Guillermo Diaz and Robert Hite.

In the backcourt, Diaz and Hite were Miami's go-to players, leading the team in scoring with 17.2 and 16.4 points per game, respectively. Combining for 48 percent of Miami's shot attempts, the duo's offensive presence will be difficult to replace.

"You lose two guys that have meant so much to the program over the past two years-it's going to have to change," head coach Frank Haith said. "It would be great if we could have four guys averaging double figures. I think that's the kind of team we're going to have."

Haith and the Miami squad are counting on the nine returning lettermen-including veteran starters Anthony Harris and Anthony King-to step up and compensate for the loss of the stars.

In the post, the Hurricanes need King, a 6-foot-9 center, to take on a leadership role and emerge as the team's go-to powerhouse in the paint.

In the backcourt, Anthony Harris will take the helm at the point. While the 6-foot-2 senior was the team's third-leading scorer with 9.5 points per game last year, Harris will need to increase his offensive output to balance the loss of top-scoring guards Diaz and Hite.

Joining Harris on the perimeter, guards Jack McClinton-a transfer from Siena-and Denis Clemente will have the opportunity to become impact players for the Hurricanes. With Clemente scoring in double figures six times last season, Haith said that Clemente brings raw energy, but hopes the sophomore will develop more poise and experience on the court.

"I want to tame some of that aggression, but I also like it too," Haith said. "I also like that he is fearless, and he's got that attitude that he'll take the big shots. He's got that moxy about him, he's got confidence."

The Hurricanes are also counting on their freshmen to make contributions this season. Six-foot-8 power forward Dwayne Collins and shooting guard James Dews, were both four-star recruits according to scout.com.

Haith said he hopes Dews can make up for the scoring deficits Miami will face with the loss of Diaz and Hite.

"You look at us losing a lot of scoring and in high school [Dews] was a prolific scorer," Haith said. "He has great offensive skills. He can be a guy that can be in the game from the net perspective."

With the loss of their two leading scorers, the Hurricanes will need to compensate by allowing other players to take on a greater role.

"We've got three guys that can play the one and three guys that can play the two in Anthony [Harris], Denny [Clemente], and McClinton," Haith said. "I want any of those guys to grab the ball and go and run and play."

Share and discuss “New look at guard buoys Hurricanes” on social media.