SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Kroyer leads young Blue Devils

Darby Kroyer is not the loudest Blue Devil, nor is she the tallest. She does not lead Duke in goals, or assists, or any other major statistical category.

No matter. Ask any player-especially a freshman or sophomore-who Duke's true leader is, and Darby Kroyer is the first name mentioned.

"She's just a really good leader," sophomore midfielder Kelly Hathorn said. "She has a lot of heart and pride in playing for our team and leading our team."

Part of Kroyer's role as a tri-captain this year has been to mentor a very talented corps of freshmen, all five of whom have played in each of Duke's 12 games. The freshmen are quick to say that Kroyer eased the transition from high school soccer to college ball.

"She makes all of us feel really comfortable," freshman forward Elisabeth Redmond said. "I feel really close to her even though she's four years older than me."

Kroyer and the rest of the seniors hosted the team in their apartments three days before practice officially started in August in order to foster team chemistry. The soccer-free days were meant to incorporate the freshmen into the tight-knit group, Kroyer said.

Such leadership is nothing new for Kroyer. As a junior last year, her teammates also elected Kroyer tri-captain. She was just the second junior captain in head coach Robbie Church's six-year tenure at Duke. Church could not have been happier with his team's decision.

"From her actions both on and off the field-how she represented herself, how she represented the program-this is someone you want to be a leader," Church said. "She's one of the ones you want to set an example with."

Kroyer's captain role has evolved over the past two years. Whereas last year she tried to lead by example-leading the Blue Devils with seven goals and 17 points-this year she has taken a more vocal approach. She is the first person on the field to praise a teammate on a good play and is also the first to encourage one after a miscue, Hathorn said.

"This year, I've talked a lot more and tried to be that positive voice," Kroyer said. "At the same time, I've tried to give out a little more criticism."

Kroyer has two goals and two assists this year, which places her fifth on the team in points. She has no game-winning goals this year, but she collected two last year. Still, Church noted her penchant for making big plays in crucial spots.

Her teammates have plenty of reason to look for Kroyer's guidance on the field. Last year, she was a second team All-ACC and All-ACC tournament team selection. She is also currently six points away from cracking the top 10 on Duke's all-time points list.

"As a captain, you have to set the example in everything you do on the field and off the field," Kroyer said. "I always try to be the hardest worker on the field and be a positive influence."

Assistant coach Carla Overbeck, a member of the U.S. national team that won the 1999 Women's World Cup, has discussed leadership and a post-college soccer career with Kroyer.

"She does want to play after, and she has the ability and capability to do that," Overbeck said. "She works hard at being a good leader. She really wants to do a good job."

As a chemistry major, Kroyer said she may be interested in working in a lab after college. Then again, the independence of such an occupation may be a drawback for a player so used to being part of-and leading-a team.

"I don't know how long I could physically do that," she said. "I've always felt that I've been part of a team."

Share and discuss “Kroyer leads young Blue Devils” on social media.