AMY SEDARIS talks entertainment...

This month, actress and comedian Amy Sedaris-the creator and star of the cult TV show Strangers with Candy-released her zany but informative guide to entertaining, I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence. Friday, Sedaris will stop off in Durham for a book signing sponsored by The Regulator Bookshop, but earlier this week, recess' Adam Eaglin got some time to question Sedaris on cheese balls, imaginary lovers and life after Strangers with Candy.

recess: Why'd you decide to write a book on entertaining?

Amy Sedaris: I felt it was something I knew a lot about. I have always wanted to do something with my mom's recipes and I wanted to start my own project and get a lot of my friends involved.

r: What's your favorite part of the new book?

AS: I like how it looks with the cover off.

r: Since Raleigh is your home, what are you excited to do on your return to the Triangle? What was life like groºwing up in North Carolina?

AS: I like North Carolina a lot, because you've got the mountains and the beach-I love the accents and hospitality. I'm looking forward to seeing my family and a few friends I went to high school with. I'll bring back some Duke's Mayonnaise. I can't get it here [in New York].

r: On David Letterman's show you mentioned that things were going well with your imaginary boyfriend, Ricky. Is that still the case?

AS: He was murdered and I'm not allowed to talk about the case. I now live with the ghost of my imaginary boyfriend.

r: When you recently appeared on The Colbert Report, you mentioned your strong interest in tumbling. What's up with that? Why tumbling?

AS: When I was 30 I lived over a five-year-old deaf girl who really inspired me. I wanted to come up with an act for Paul [Dinello] and Stephen [Colbert] and I to do on the road that didn't rely on words-something very visual and entertaining so deaf people could enjoy it.

My book is for the illiterate, you don't have to know how to read to enjoy it. I don't like to leave anyone out.

r: Your brother, David Sedaris, has talked about you in a couple of his books. Is it weird being written about?

AS: No, David always makes you look good. Better than you are.

r: I want to throw a party in my dorm room. Any tips? It's small.

AS: Just invite the right people and I am sure it will come together. If it's so small tell them all to eat before they come over and just hang out and maybe make a cheese ball.

r: Speaking of cheese balls, I hear you run a cupcake-and-cheese-ball business. How'd that get started?

AS: I like making a buck and I like doing a lot of work just for that one dollar. It's my allowance. Plus, I'm never out of a job.

r: You've been in a number of movies, including Elf and Maid in Manhattan. Can we look forward to seeing you in any upcoming films?

AS: I have no plans after the promotion of this book.

r: Now that the Strangers with Candy movie has been released, is the franchise kaput? What is life like after Strangers with Candy?

AS: I haven't thought about it. It's like a rash that went away and it will appear again now and then.

Amy Sedaris will hold a conversation and book signing Friday, Oct. 20 at 8 p.m. at the Durham Armory, 220 Foster Street in Durham. Tickets are $5 or free with purchase of Sedaris' book.

Share and discuss “AMY SEDARIS talks entertainment...” on social media.