SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Loftus adjusts to new role coming off bench

Four games into his senior season, Chris Loftus is finding himself in unfamiliar territory.

After starting all 20 games last season, Loftus, one of two senior captains on No. 14 Duke's roster, is adapting to coming off the bench.

"It's difficult anytime where you've started for three years, and you have to make an adjustment," Loftus said. "Different people are doing a good job in there. It's tough, but that's just how it goes."

Soccer isn't like basketball, where losing a spot in the starting lineup doesn't necessarily dictate a drop in minutes. Loftus, who was second on Duke in minutes played last season, has already missed more time on the field in the team's first four games than he did in all 20 a year ago.

The Illinois native has been a mainstay in the Blue Devil midfield since his arrival on campus three years ago. He started 10 games his freshman season and was named to the All-ACC Freshman Team.

The next two years, he settled in as Duke's defensive midfielder, helping anchor the backfield while still providing support for the offense. He even tied for the team lead in goals with nine en route to being selected to the All-ACC second team in 2005.

Loftus' spot in the starting lineup first opened up in the spring, when he missed time with an injury. Sophomore Pavelid Castaneda, who played in 12 games as a freshman, took full advantage of the opportunity, impressing the coaches with his play.

"[Castaneda] started very well last spring and played very well this summer," head coach John Rennie said. "He got an opportunity to play and really has played extremely well."

During the summer trip to Germany, Loftus and Castaneda split time, but the sophomore seized the job when Loftus struggled early in the season.

"I don't think I was playing anywhere near my potential the preseason games or the first game," Loftus said. "I wasn't pleased with my performance, and I don't think the coaches were either."

Castaneda started both games last weekend against American and South Florida, cementing his starting role by earning a spot on the all-tournament team at the Duke/Adidas Classic.

"Pav has just been great," junior midfielder Michael Videira said following Sunday night's 1-0 victory over South Florida. "He does a great job on the defensive end."

Although adjusting to his diminished role has been difficult on the field, Loftus has not let it affect his status as one of the team captains off of it.

"I don't think that being captain really has anything to do with either being on the field or off the field," Loftus said. "You have to keep the guys that aren't on the field in a positive mind frame, too, and keep their confidence up. I just have to be a leader for everyone."

The senior admits that constant questions from friends and family have only provided him with even more motivation to get back on the field.

Loftus' coach, however, said it's just a matter of time before his captain returns to form-and the field.

"Chris is a versatile player," Rennie said. "He can play a lot of places and he's going to play. He's still a very important part of our team. He'll be on the field."

And Loftus understands that, right now, the only thing he can do is push himself more than ever.

"Anytime you're faced with adversity, you're going to want to overcome it," he said. "One way to work out of a bad situation is to work harder, and that's what I'm trying to do right now."

Share and discuss “Loftus adjusts to new role coming off bench” on social media.