Off-campus fraternity to affiliate

After months of dialogue, the off-campus student organization Delta Phi Alpha, formerly known as Sigma Alpha Epsilon, has once again become officially recognized by a national fraternity.

Delta Phi Alpha is now Alpha Delta Phi.

"We've had Duke on our radar screen for a long time," said Ed Donahue, chair of the board of governors of Alpha Delta Phi fraternity's national headquarters. "We tend to be only at top-notch schools, which, obviously, is why Duke is of interest to us."

Donahue and Alpha Delt first approached the group of students last spring to give a presentation about the fraternity. The 62 Duke members unanimously voted in favor of the partnership, and the decision was finalized at Alpha Delt's national convention in August.

The organization is now an official affiliate of Alpha Delt and hopes to become a chartered chapter in the near future.

"We have very efficiently managed the fraternity without a national organization," said senior Tripp Rehlaender, president of Duke's Alpha Delt affiliate. "The presence of such a national organization will further strengthen our position as a premier group in the greek scene."

The former SAE chapter was expelled from the national fraternity in 2002 due to violations of risk management, including hazing and illegal alcohol use. As a result, the group was automatically disaffiliated from the University.

In the years since its disafilliation, the group adopted the title Delta Phi Alpha and continued to operate independently.

Members of Alpha Delt are optimistic about their decision and are looking toward the future.

"Becoming nationally affiliated and changing the name is the most baller thing you can do to your frat," said Alpha Delt member Russell Posner, a junior.

Along with a new name, the affiliation also provides the fraternity with a new avenue for fundraising and risk management.

"We've always been a pretty active part of the social scene, and the fact that we didn't have a national chapter was something that people have held against us," said Alpha Delt member Carter Leggett, a senior. "This will cement the foundations of the fraternity and make it something I can come back and visit after I graduate."

Donahue said he is confident the group can soon receive a colony charter.

"The only thing we need to satisfy ourselves is that they have alumni participation," he explained. "If all goes well, there is no reason why they wouldn't receive a charter at next summer's convention."

Todd Adams, assistant dean of students, said most national fraternities recommend, if not require, chapters to be recognized by their institutions where such recognition exists. In order to be recognized by Duke, a fraternity or sorority has to be nationally affiliated and belong to one of four governing councils.

Although it is encouraged, Alpha Delta Phi does not require its chapters to belong to their universities' Interfraternity Council.

"If you have an IFC or administration that is difficult, we absolutely don't require membership with IFC," Donahue said.

After SAE became Delta Phi Alpha and ended its relationship with SAE headquarters, the national fraternity threatened litigation because of the Duke group's misuse of SAE letters, insignia and likeness.

"We would consider them a renegade group," said Brandon Weghorst, director of communications for SAE national headquarters. "They may operate as a secret society but they're using bits and pieces of SAE ritual and creed."

About 80 percent of SAE chapters that close return at some later time, Weghorst said. Should the chapter at Duke return in the future, however, he said it will be a new group of young men with no affiliations to the previous chapter.

"I can't speak much about the past because none of the members now were a part of that organization," Rehlaender said. "And the presence of our group being formerly SAE have impeded their efforts to [re-]establish a chapter on campus."

He added that the decision to become Alpha Delta Phi was supported by both official and unofficial SAE alumni from Duke.

"We'll be adopting the Alpha Delt rituals and that's the future of this group," he added. "We will be fully Alpha Delt."

The fraternity will continue to work with the national headquarters, while keeping an open mind about working toward a potential affiliation with the University.

Eta Prime--formerly known as Kappa Sigma--is now the only unaffiliated off-campus fraternity at Duke. It has made no plans to follow in Alpha Delt's footsteps.

"National affiliation is always a possibility that we discuss as a group," said Eta Prime president Ryan Eick, a senior. "The general sentiment within the fraternity is that things are going well the way they are now."

Share and discuss “Off-campus fraternity to affiliate” on social media.