Death Cab, Franz Ferdinand rock Cameron

For one of the final times this semester, cheers filled a jam-packed Cameron Indoor Stadium Friday night-even though it was not a game night.

More than 5,300 people-at least 2,500 of whom were Duke students-sang and swayed along with the dynamic rock of Franz Ferdinand and the poignant lyrics of Death Cab for Cutie.

"We are extremely pleased with the outcome of the show," said senior Elisa Ayarza, chair of Duke University Union's Major Attractions Committee, which organized the concert. "The house was packed and the audience was very enthusiastic. We couldn't have hoped for a better turnout."

The Cribs, a British punk rock trio, opened the concert, which began at 7 p.m. and lasted until 10:30 p.m. The band showcased several upbeat songs from their latest album, The Good Fellas, released last August.

The musicians performed on a stage set up at one end of the basketball court with a sound board at the other end. Exuberant fans filled the space in between.

Scottish alternative rockers Franz Ferdinand followed The Cribs with an energetic performance of their hits-including "Take Me Out" and "Do You Want To"-against a backdrop of the cover art from their latest album, You Could Have It So Much Better, released last October. The performance ended with three members of the quartet performing a drums finale.

Amid roaring applause, Death Cab for Cutie climbed on stage as the final performers of the concert. Fans of the Seattle-based indie quartet rocked to songs from various albums-including the hits "Soul Meets Body" and "What Sarah Said" from Plans, which was released last August.

Lead singer Ben Gibbard kept fans swaying on their feet through the 65-minute set, performing under a kaleidoscope of spotlights that lit a silhouetted backdrop of trees and city night lights.

Audience members waved lit cell phones to powerful encore performances of "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" and "Transatlanticism."

In spite of the packed stadium, organizers said the concert ran without any major hitches. "Our security and usher personnel did an amazing job. Our aisles were clear throughout the entire show," Ayarza said. "That's quite a feat when we are working with student volunteers and a staff new to the arena and setup."

Ayarza said the sold-out capacity helped the concert's sound, which was a point of criticism among concert-goers at rapper Ludacris' performance in Cameron in 2003.

"Because the seats were filled, it helped the acoustics sound less muddled," Ayarza explained. "For this show, the music genre helped as well."

Several students reported that Franz Ferdinand partied at Beta Theta Pi's section in Craven Quadrangle after the show.

"They wanted to see what an American frat party was like because they were from Scotland," sophomore Hilary Lenz said. "I think they had a nice time."

Death Cab for Cutie greeted guests and signed autographs outside the venue Friday afternoon.

Many who went to the concert said they were pleased with the performances.

"The encore for Death Cab was really good. I think I'll probably start listening to more of their music now," sophomore Ankit Shrivastava said.

Some fans of Death Cab for Cutie unexpectedly found they enjoyed Franz Ferdinand's music as well.

"I was definitely very surprised by Franz Ferdinand-I was blown away," sophomore Christian Sotomayor said. "I thought their performance was incredible. The energy was flowing through the entire crowd."

Share and discuss “Death Cab, Franz Ferdinand rock Cameron” on social media.