Musician's credence undue

I am pleased that The Chronicle wants to explore how art can promote division as well as unity, but I wish the recess article on Prussian Blue had shared this goal ("Musical duo advocates racial separation, Feb. 9). The writer devotes 961 words to quotes from advocates of what he obligingly calls "racial separation."

Only 225 words are quotes from "the other side, anti-hate speech groups." Anti-racists' words are described as "accusations" and "allegations," while Lamb Gaede is simply "promoting her beliefs" when she says, "black people are more likely to be criminals." And the pictures that accompany the article look like cutouts from a Prussian Blue promo mailing.

Did the reporter actually speak with the Gaedes? Did something prevent him from asking real questions?

I am not suggesting he needed to call them bigots to their faces, but could he not have asked, "How do you feel about Hitler?" or, "Are you sure the skulls and upside-down peace symbol on your record label's website help promote your message of peaceful separation?"

The Chronicle should take a closer look at the next two pieces in this series if it is serious about exploring how art can divide people.

Otherwise the only topic explored will be how poor journalism can divide people.

Allen McBride

M.S. Student, Program in

Ecology

Share and discuss “Musician's credence undue” on social media.