Youthful Duke to fix 1st game scoring woes

Duke didn't look like the team most people expected when it opened its season Monday night.

It took nearly four minutes for the Blue Devils to score their first points, and shot after shot clanked off the rim. By the time the dust settled, Duke had shot just 40 percent for the game, including 18.8 percent from three-point range.

After scoring at will in their exhibition games-averaging 112.5 points in two contests-the No. 1 Blue Devils (1-0) mustered only 64 points but escaped with a hard-fought, 17-point victory over Boston University in the opening round of the NIT Season Tip-Off.

In tonight's matchup against Seton Hall, a team that finished just 12-16 last season and was ranked second-to-last in the Big East preseason poll, the Blue Devils will have a second chance to prove their offense is as good as its preseason hype.

"We were a little anxious today, just trying to get our shots up, but we got a win today," senior Sean Dockery said after his team's 64-47 win Monday. "We've got a lot to learn, we've got a lot to work on."

During the preseason, Duke used its blend of veterans and talented freshmen to destroy the competition. But Boston University rattled the Blue Devils and got them out of sync.

Head coach Mike Krzyzewski said he was not upset with his team's sub-par offensive performance against the Terriers, admitting it will take time for the five scholarship freshmen to adapt to playing on a team that has traditionally had great success and high expectations.

Krzyzewski added that he never once yelled at the team during the game because he felt his players were giving their best effort.

"There's still a little bit about [the freshmen] that feels like gold dust is going to be sprinkled on and you just win," Krzyzewski said.

Freshmen Josh McRoberts and Greg Paulus both saw significant playing time Monday night, but of the three other scholarship freshmen, only Martynas Pocius stepped on the floor.

"I'm sure a couple of the kids who didn't play [Monday] or didn't play that much will have an opportunity against Seton Hall," Krzyzewski said. "Maybe they'll play better because of that."

The Pirates (1-0) defeated Manhattan, 66-52, Monday night in East Rutherford, N.J., to join Duke in the second round. The game will tip off at 7:30 p.m tonight in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

With a victory, Duke would move into the NIT Season Tip-Off semifinals at Madison Square Garden in New York Nov. 23, where it would play the winner of the Drexel-Sam Houston State matchup.

"We want to win this tournament," senior Lee Melchionni said. "We're 1-0 in this tournament, and we're looking to advance again on Wednesday."

Share and discuss “Youthful Duke to fix 1st game scoring woes” on social media.