GPSC talks fee hikes, charter changes

Graduate and Professional Student Council representatives discussed a membership fee increase and charter changes for their attendance policy at Monday night's meeting.

The GPSC fee increase will be set to match the University rate of inflation over the next three years beginning in Fall 2007, following a motion put forth from previous meetings.

"Historically the inflation rate of the University has been 3 percent," said Treasurer Scott Smith, a second-year student at the Fuqua School of Business.

Smith also informed members that with each increase the member fee will be rounded to the closest 10 cents.

Some members worried that the language of the motion does not allow GPSC room to make further changes to the fee when it sees fit in the future. In response, two amendments were proposed.

In the end, however, members agreed GPSC will always reserve the right to make changes when it sees fit and discussion on the amendments was closed without voting. The original motion was passed.

Attorney General Kelly DeMeester, a second-year student in the business school, continued last week's discussion about changes to GPSC's charter by explaining its significance.

The suggestion was to strike "consecutive" from the current clause that states: "A seat will be considered abandoned after a representative is absent without proxy from three consecutive Assembly meetings."

"This means that if you miss three meetings, you're out and your school will be contacted," DeMeester explained.

The General Assembly clarified that only members will be removed, not the program represented at GPSC.

If the charter change passes, members will only be allowed to miss two meetings per semester. "I think two meetings is good, otherwise you're missing half of the meetings in a semester," said Sara Becker, a graduate student in psychology.

The charter change will be voted on after winter break.

In other business:

Vik Devisetty, a student in both Fuqua and the School of Medicine, updated members about the Young Trustee Committee and the application process. Devisetty informed the council that applications and other documents will be available online.

Devisetty also expressed concerns on the behalf of medical school students regarding their tripled parking fees. He said he hopes to see this increase negated for the next school year.

First-year Fuqua student Arthur Sevilla reported upcoming activities to form a more cohesive graduate and professional student body.

Alexandra Malone, a student in the Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, informed representatives of community groups set up to achieve a more environmentally sound University.

Second-year Divinity School student Gavin Rogers invited members to attend a pig roast at the Duke Chapel that will take place next semester.

Share and discuss “GPSC talks fee hikes, charter changes” on social media.